Win_x64_0.7.91: Floating loot pile above pedestal in Orsinium [RESOLVED 0.14]

SlainByWoodborne

Win_x64_0.7.91: Floating loot pile above pedestal in Orsinium [RESOLVED 0.14]

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

I tried to search for this but the "Search..." feature ignores the word "floating" when I search "floating" or "floating loot".

In the save, there's a loot pile floating above the pedestal in the middle of this room in the Orsinium.
Attachments
Floating_loot_pile_SAVE49.7z
(216.41 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

pango

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Floating loot pile above pedestal in Orsinium

Post by pango »

I was about to say it's a game-data related issue, since it happens all over the place and is something that may find a workaround in mods, but this one seems actually correctly placed in Daggerfall classic:
orsinium lootpile 2 - classic.jpg
orsinium lootpile 2 - classic.jpg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
orsinium lootpile - classic.jpg
orsinium lootpile - classic.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

Even though it appears that way in classic, it's odd to have a floating pile. My guess is that there is an offset variable for other piles that also affects this pile.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This one is definitely more pronounced in DFU.

Loot containers such as this one receive an alignment step that takes a best-effort approach at aligning with surface below. The alignment logic is probably hitting an edge case that causes it to push upwards a bit instead. I'll take a look when I can.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The loot pile is aligned with marker in game, which is actually floating above the surface. This is partially a game data problem, though DFU can no doubt do better here.

I'll look at resolving this without breaking anything else.

loot-marker.jpg
loot-marker.jpg (209.85 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Interkarma

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Floating loot pile above pedestal in Orsinium [RESOLVED 0.14]

Post by Interkarma »

Resolved using a second alignment step for random treasure. This second step aligns treasure to surface below, not just the marker.

loot-marker-aligned.jpg
loot-marker-aligned.jpg (202.58 KiB) Viewed 739 times

I don't believe this will break anything else. The alignment codes starts from from slightly above starting position in case marker is already sunk into world.

Knowing Daggerfall's gamedata though, there's no doubt an edge case somewhere where the marker is so far out of alignment the treasure still lands in wrong spot.

Note that player will need to exit and re-enter dungeon for change to take effect. Mods that persist dungeon data might also persist the floating loot pile where cached before fix.