Adding time of day properties to flats

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
jayhova

Adding time of day properties to flats

Post by jayhova »

I want to start off by saying the K.O.W.'s Dungeon exit is pretty damn good. But like all good things it only make me want something better. The problem with the dungeon exit is that it is very obviously daylight. It got me to thinking how nice it would be if assets could change based on the time of day like the windows in houses. Would this be hard to do?

[Edit] While we are at it, having these things change to reflect the season would be nice too.

Last edited by jayhova on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

King of Worms

Re: Adding time of day properties to flats

Post by King of Worms »

Would be bomb! And thank you :) With the emission map someone added its really great

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

A mod can replace the model of the dungeon exit (70300) and add any custom script to it. No changes to core should be needed.

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm Would be bomb! And thank you :) With the emission map someone added its really great
I added the emission map for what looks like ages ago, and yet it's been only 6 months ;).
jayhova wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:36 pm I want to start off by saying the K.O.W.'s Dungeon exit is pretty damn good. But like all good things it only make me want something better. The problem with the dungeon exit is that it is very obviously daylight. It got me to thinking how nice it would be if assets could change based on the time of day like the windows in houses. Would this be hard to do?
The feature already exists, that's what AlexanderSig uses so that street lights change between day and night.
I'm not sure if I can find its technical description though :/

PS: Ah, DayNight component
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I thought it was you Pango.

Ive read the link u posted, but I have no idea on how to make it work with textures.

With city windows, the emission maps Ive created work automatically. But the same emission map type applyed to the dungeon entrance does not switch on/off at any given time.

Even if it did, it would not have a desired result.

What we need to make it 100% is, that the texture completely changes at night, and the emission map changes as well (so we can for example see stars emitting light at the dung exit)

But I think that this might be possible and not so hard to implement, given the fact many day night systems are already working (also seasonal systems)

Edit: just saw Lacus comment. So we need to add some script to the model properties. Some1 pls do it and I create night version of exit :))))

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 pm Edit: just saw Lacus comment. So we need to add some script to the model properties. Some1 pls do it and I create night version of exit :))))
If you send me the textures i'll make a prototype :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Will try to do so tomorrow or at least before the weekend, thanks for offer!

pango

Post by pango »

Emission allows to detect the exit from far away, for the "night" version I wouldn't remove emission altogether, maybe just make it dark blue or something...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:16 am Emission allows to detect the exit from far away, for the "night" version I wouldn't remove emission altogether, maybe just make it dark blue or something...
I agree... created this but Im not sure it is that interresting or good and if it is worth more work or I should create something else. Opinions welcomed. Ive used the moon from skyrim, just changed its color/brightness etc..
Also, I might remove the iron grate from the version we are using now, so this actual exit is more visible... juth how it is in these screens.
2.png
2.png (335.98 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

That's beautiful. Needs an archway but other than that...
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.