DFU won't exit

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jayhova

DFU won't exit

Post by jayhova »

For some reason when ever I try to quit DFU the game locks up on me. Has anyone else run into this?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Re: DFU won't exit

Post by Jay_H »

Let's get your OS, build, player log, and mod status.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Mods:
Daggerfall world map
Distant terrain 2.6.0
Dream (RC3)
Enhanced sky 2.1.1

I've put my OS and build in my signature for future reference. Is there an easy way of outputting mods and version to a file for troubleshooting purposes? This seems like it would be helpful.
Attachments
Troubleshoot_Data.zip
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It looks like upon further investigation that distant terrain is what is causing DFU to hang. I deactivate the mod and DFU exits, with it on it doesn't. I have totally wiped the directory and reinstalled DFU and all the mods I use. Some bugs went away but this one persists.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Same problem. Workaround is to start clicking your mouse in the middle of the screen after a few seconds after it looks stuck, you will get a crash msg and can select quit program (on win7)

It caused by the Distant terrain, and it doesnt cause this problem all the time, sometimes it quits ok, majority of time it does not.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I have not seen it exit properly. I in fact do as you say.

Elricwulf

Post by Elricwulf »

jayhova wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:55 am For some reason when ever I try to quit DFU the game locks up on me. Has anyone else run into this?
This happens to me as well, as you say, Exit the game, it hangs, and begins an infinite disk access process... go use the bathroom, etc. come back, it's still sitting there, click exit again, it seems to die at that point, but it is still frozen, click a couple more times in the middle of the screen, goes grey and comes up with the Crash Message. I select Close Program and it shuts down, but the disk access continues and system remains very sluggish for a few minutes.
-I had Distant Land enabled, but I thought this was causing the problem, so I disabled the mod, made a few saves, then added Mountains and Hills. Seems like the latter is less laggy when travelling, but DFU still crashes on Exit. I've only noticed it Exit with no problem a couple of times, I believe after removing Distant Lands and before adding Mountains and Hills. I may try to run it without M&H and see if it exits okay again, but not sure if disabling/enabling mods like this is harmful as it is in other official TES games...
Is there a text file somewhere in game directory with the complete (enabled) mod list and versions? Not sure if this is a complete list or correct order) I can post other pertinent info as needed later.

DFU Alpha 0.10.17 (23-December-2019)

Mods:
Birds in Daggerfall 2.0
DF World Map
Mountains and Hills 1.02
DREAM version 2020/R1 (DREAM textures from 2019/RC6)
Enhanced Sky 2.1.1
Hand Painted Models
Loading Screen 2.4.1
Real Grass 2.7
Persistent Dungeons ver 0.04a
Post Processing 1.2.1
Tedious Travel 0.4.2
Trees of DF 1.9
Vibrant Wind .5

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

I've had this problem with DFU since roughly mid 2019, not sure which version that precisely was though when it cropped up. I'd agree the quick fix is to just click around or go to task manager, unless you're using the .ini option of "ExclusiveFullscreen = True."

That is where the issues get kinda bad. At least on my Windows 10 64 bit install, I have to fully log out Windows to kill the dead game. The problem is that the ExclusiveFullscreen style of DFU sits on top of any other window I attempt to use, making task manager use to kill the task nearly impossible. Clicking around doesn't present the option from Windows to kill the task either, like in the Windowed mode of the game.

I've never used Distant Terrain, but I have used Mountains and Hills for a long time. Anyhow, here is my list of mods if it helps:

Daggerfall Unity Alpha version: 0.10.21

Airships
Archaeologists
Birds in Daggerfall
Climates & Cloaks
Convenient Clock
Daggerfall Skyshards
Drafty secret doors
Enhanced Sky
Filling Food
Harvestable Crops
Inventory Filter
Meaner Monsters
Mountains and Hills
Outfit Manager
Roleplay Realism
Tedious Travel
Toggle Mount
Villager Immersion Overhaul
Vampiric Options
Windmills of Daggerfall
Warm Ashes
Daggerfall Quest Pack 1 by Jay_H

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I have it as well for a looong time already, windows 10 (but it did the same on win7 - as Ive written before in this thread)
Clicking in the middle of the screen when the game appears frozen indeed solves it every time for me.
I always thought its because of distant terrain tho. But as I see now, ppl have this issue and dont use that mod, so...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I'm thinking Tedious Travel could be the culprit? I feel the problem mostly arises if I've played for an extended amount of time. There might be some problem with simply how much land Tedious Travel makes the game load.