Daggerfall Spiritual Successor Project (Artists Needed!)

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
TheHourMan

Re: Daggerfall Spiritual Successor Project (Artists Needed!)

Post by TheHourMan »

I recommend doing a crowdfunder asap. I'll definitely contribute a few dollars, that's for sure
Discord (adults only:) discord.gg/nehjDHW

Mark Alhazred

Post by Mark Alhazred »

Hey Julian,
This is Mark Jackson. I believe that I produced some concept art for the games, Daggerfall, Battlespire and Redguard. I see that you're looking for artists. If you'd like to see what I'm up to these days and maybe catch up on the last quarter century, look me up on Instagram: lollapazuzu and Facebook: Stone Age Robot.

Cheers

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I recommend doing a crowdfunder asap
A crowdfunder without at least a prototype is a really bad idea...

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

jedidia wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 pm
I recommend doing a crowdfunder asap
A crowdfunder without at least a prototype is a really bad idea...
Really, really, really bad idea. Please don't waste the potential of what could eventually become an amazing project by committing this critical mistake (naming names in a crowdfunder - which many, including myself, have long since become very wary of - without showing some concrete product). That said, I'll keep an eye out here, and am interested to see if this project gets any traction. Good luck!

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

To echo what others have said, take the time to plan things out properly - not just the game design, but the budget and business plan, start assembling a team, and at least spend enough money to do some technical tests and make sure your estimates are grounded in reality. You get one shot at crowdfunding a project, and no matter how good it is, or how much people say they'll wait as long as it takes, at some point they lose patience and feel entitled to results. So don't take people's money with a three-year wait unless you're ready for a ton of pressure and resentment.

That might sound negative, but it is all in service of seeing you succeed. Good luck!

Fargoth

Post by Fargoth »

Very cool to read this. I am not a talented artist who can offer help but I'll throw some cash at a crowd funding campaign when it happens.

Good luck and take your time working slowly at first tinkering with the engine and hashing out the concepts+lore.

Many times people work themselves too hard trying to rush out footage of an unfinished engine with a vague concept that doesn't attract enough attention/funding. Treating it as a passion project or hobby and taking breaks in the early stages are a good approach to start. Please don't burn out out harp at rushed deadlines. When the concept is in a stage you're comfortable with then spread the word more vocally, find the funding and hire more.

Also if the engine is mod friendly that would hugely help attract the existing Elder Scrolls crowd to support the funding campaign. Even the New-Scrolls fans who know nothing about the vast earlier titles would love another rpg game with mods. Unity would certainly help(mods, VR and Console/Android support) but I'm sure Julian knows what he wants from an engine and will likely make his own proprietary system. Supporting Blender animations and other popular accessible formats would be lovely to see. I'm not a coder but those that I know mostly agree on C#

One random thought of mine is that the creator of Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox might be someone interesting to talk to. His experience making a procedural generated rpg was initially pretty rough as an unknown, not super experienced guy that took the early access route on steam. He has been making improvements to his product overtime and I think he's learned a lot through the process. Even if he might not want to hop into another project picking his brain could be beneficial.
He can be found here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/malevol ... rofile&u=2

Another guy who'd likely be interested is http://alexrodgers.co.uk/about/ I saw some random work/concepts he did on youtube. I have absolutely no clue about what games he's actually worked on if any but he does cite Daggerfall as a source of inspiration. His site hasn't been updated in three years though.

TheHourMan

Post by TheHourMan »

So is this dead? I haven't seen indigogaming active on the itnernet at all since he made this post. Seriously, there is an actual person who worked on Daggerfall offering there services here
Discord (adults only:) discord.gg/nehjDHW

stampedo

Post by stampedo »

I wrote him an email but he never got back to me. I'm an actual game developer and artist...

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Me getting sick for a few days doesn't mean the world has ended. :shock:

Right now we have over a dozen people on the project, much thanks to the amazing response from this forum! We're still bringing on people, but we have to be organized at this point or you can easily get "swamped" with help and get little done.

Feel free to contact me directly at my email address (ian@indigogaming.net), I'll try to get back to you as well as I can.

Thanks for everyone's help on this, and we hope to have something exciting to show in the following months. These things do take a lot of time to put together.