Post Processing Effects Customizer (Legacy)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Midknightprince

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by Midknightprince »

I was wondering if you could incorporate the Birds Mod into this...

The birds in Daggerfall mod has not worked for quite a while and it did add a lot of Ambience to Daggerfall Unity.

Would it be possible to just do it through post-processing effect, make it part of this mod and sort of Do Your Own Thing ?

I miss the birds, that's all I'm saying...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Hey TheLacus!

I really like Nystul's realtime reflection mod. It looks great with the vanilla textures, but it looks out of place once you add normal maps because the reflected pixels don't seem to consider any PBR textures other than the metallic map. screen space reflections on the other hand look sooooo nice with PBR materials.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on adding Screen Space Reflections to the post processing stack?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Correct me if Im wrong, but its already in there?
I never tryed it with the remastered textures tho.
What I remember, it reflected everything everywhere in the past..

Bottom right corner to enable it:
08.jpg
08.jpg (484.03 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
Ive tryed it now with remastered textures, and it does not have that old problem.
But I think its not 100% working? At least its very subtle and more testing is needed.

Comparison on/off screens where it actually did something.
Desktop.rar
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Maybe the textures need to be set up in some different way in unity for the SSR to work properly?
But how?

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Oh you're right. I hadn't seen the option in there.

Yeah, when I enable it, it doesn't seem to add screen space reflections. In other Unity projects, it adds reflections to surfaces proportional to that material's smoothness at that pixel but it doesn't seem to be working yet.

Of course it still reads as "experimental" in settings, so I won't give TheLacus too much grief over it not being perfect. :lol:

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I marked it experimental before we had texture packs because all vanilla materials use 0.5 smoothness. Not sure why it doesn't work for you, are you sure UseLegacyDeferred is disabled in settings?
This is how it looks for me:

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

are you sure UseLegacyDeferred is disabled in settings?
I have that option disabled.

Your screenshot looks excellent!

I'm wondering if the smoothness on my materials are just too low. I'll do some testing and see.

Thanks!

Update: I increased the smoothness a little and started to notice the reflections showing up. It looks really really nice!

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

is there a way to make reflections a bit less hard? Few things in life have this sort or perfect reflectivity. Certainly not floors. There also seem to be a lot of texture there for a stone floor. the reflectivity of the brass inlay is fine but marble is flat and has no specular highlights.

Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

is there a way to make reflections a bit less hard?
It depends on the smoothness value of the particular material, so it's up to the modder how hard the reflection is.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

MasonFace wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 pm ... so it's up to the modder how hard the reflection is.
I suppose I just want people who are implementing textures like this to be aware that IRL few things are really shiny. Old things far less so. There is a danger of getting caught up in the WOW factor and adding reflectivity to things that should not be all that reflective. Walking up to the fighters guild and seeing a big glare spot in the middle of a stone wall breaks immersion for me. why on earth is a stone wall shiney at all? It certainly isn't smooth.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

That shiny fighters guold and stone walls around the city is from the Handpainted models. Would be cool to report it there. Its the models from VMBlast which behave in this manner.

In the DREAM I did not count with the SSR at all.
But it seems its working not that bad.
I might recheck the materials with this in mind.