Stretched or repeating textures

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ferital

Re: Stretched or repeating textures

Post by Ferital »

Thanks for the report Banshee. As Interkarma said, hiding the castle doors bottom may have been done on purpose. But if everyone think it should be fixed, I'll do it. Anyway, since this is not very noticeable (I never noticed it in 20 years), I'll leave the doors as they are for now, as I still have the following models to fix:

Dungeon secret passage (reported by pango)
Dungeon exterior bridge (Banshee)
Dungeon stair walls (Banshee)
Dungeon harrow grooves (Banshee and SlainByWoodborne)

I also noticed the following issues:

Pawn shop misplaced wall texture:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Dungeon wall bricks following the slope of the floor instead of being horizontal:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Stretched marble stone found in cemeteries:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks again for looking at all this, Ferital. I'm also perfectly happy for those entrance doors on Daggerfall castle to be fixed sometime.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, as promised, here is the report from the ship (call it a captains log)
This ship is a mess..
Save.rar
(173.75 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

Thank you for looking at it and for all the corrections and work you did so far on this, its awesome!!

PS: Maybe the 1st image is not a problem with UVs but a wrong texture... not really sure
Captains log.jpg
Captains log.jpg (512.92 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Just wanted to say how great it is to see all these classic errors getting fixed - thanks to Ferital and all for your work!

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

King of Worms wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm Hi, as promised, here is the report from the ship (call it a captains log)
This ship is a mess..
Save.rar

Thank you for looking at it and for all the corrections and work you did so far on this, its awesome!!

PS: Maybe the 1st image is not a problem with UVs but a wrong texture... not really sure
Good catch! These ship texture issues are much less visible with original low resolution textures so I never noticed them. Added on my todo list!
Interkarma wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 am Thanks again for looking at all this, Ferital. I'm also perfectly happy for those entrance doors on Daggerfall castle to be fixed sometime.
mikeprichard wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm Just wanted to say how great it is to see all these classic errors getting fixed - thanks to Ferital and all for your work!
Thanks for your support :)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Ferital wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 amDungeon wall bricks following the slope of the floor instead of being horizontal:
Screenshot.jpg
Walls that are recessed like this have a crease that lines up with the mortar. I'm not sure it would look very good otherwise. I have, however, seen the two blocks transition the same horizontal texture from small to large, and it looks odd. Probably worth correcting, but I've only been focusing on the big errors.
brix.png
brix.png (124.02 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Yes you're right, that's not a big issue, I will focus on more evident and critical ones at first.

The transition from one block to another using the same texture but more or less enlarged (strectched) is a common problem in game data. I've added a few models to fix on my list.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

"Dungeon wall bricks following the slope of the floor instead of being horizontal"

This one is questionable and imo goes beyond the scope of this project.

Its not stretched, its not problematic. Keep it the original way. Not everything has to be uniform.

I love it the way it is.

Focus on really problematic and evidently flawed aspects of the game IMO

thanks 4 considering it

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Yes that's what I said above when I agreed with Banshees similar considerations :)

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

An update to say I didn't give up working on classic texture UV fixes, however I need to update the current tool I use for that to be more efficient, which is a tweaked version of my own of the good old DF Modelling. I need to add a panel which will allow me to tweak coordinates in somewhat real time without needing to compile the tool everytime. And as RL work is quite time consuming these days, I didn't have any time to do that yet.