Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Aleryn

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Aleryn »

Thanks to Pango for adding the information and notifications for bank loans in the game. Another feature I never thought of but will result in me using and enjoying a system I never did before.

I'd also like to thank those responsible for the update some time back that highlighted recently improved skills in blue font; I always liked that in vanilla as it highlighted even the smallest progress of a character.

pango

Post by pango »

Aleryn wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:22 pm Thanks to Pango for adding the information and notifications for bank loans in the game. Another feature I never thought of but will result in me using and enjoying a system I never did before.
Thanks!
Aleryn wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:22 pm I'd also like to thank those responsible for the update some time back that highlighted recently improved skills in blue font; I always liked that in vanilla as it highlighted even the smallest progress of a character.
It was also me (with some help from Allofich so that highlights are even transferred during classic game loading).
I did many small UI tweaks and some audio work, because I'm a 3D noob ;)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Aleryn wrote:I'd also like to thank those responsible for the update some time back that highlighted recently improved skills in blue font; I always liked that in vanilla as it highlighted even the smallest progress of a character.
I hate to play the role of Debbie Downer again, but we may have to rethink this before 1.0. Reason being, now that enchantments are in, it exposes a shortcoming in classic where skills that are altered by something have no indicator. When it happens to attributes, the color blue is used to indicate a magically raised value. This is a good practice and happens in other rpgs. So you'd think, for consistency, that the same thing would happen to skills when they are raised by an item or spell. But it doesn't. Blue is instead used to show that something recently incremented.

Since the player is already notified via infotext that his skill leveled, and the notebook now saves those entries, I recommend using blue on skills the same way it is used on attributes.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 am Since the player is already notified via infotext that his skill leveled, and the notebook now saves those entries, I recommend using blue on skills the same way it is used on attributes.
Makes sense to me.

Also, Interkarma, this is probably a ridiculous nitpick, but that's what I do - there are two items in the main roadmap for the Alpha phase ("Select class with questions" and "Quarter-screen HUD with icons and mouse cursor toggle") that refer to classic core features; shouldn't those be in 0.9 instead of Alpha? Also, you mentioned in another thread a little while back that instead of the current Alpha item "Autowalk/autorun toggle, sneak toggle, walk/run toggle keybinds", you'd do something simpler and more comprehensive like "Add option to change walk/run state, walk/sneak state, and walk/crouch state into toggles"; is that still the plan, and if so would you mind updating the roadmap for that? Anyway, I see you're burning through the remaining effects and smashing bugs like a madman - do you ever sleep? :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nope, I rarely get enough sleep. :) In the last few years, I haven't really looked after my own physical or mental health very well at all. Improving this is a big ticket on my personal roadmap after July.

I recently moved those two items out of pre-alpha. Class questions are only an elaborate class selector for which there's already a list selection in place. It just adds flavour. For the alternate quarter-screen HUD, only 13% of people surveyed indicated a strong preference for it and 53% indicated a strong preference against using it. Likewise, it mainly adds flavour. I deprioritised both of these items to make time for myself elsewhere.

For the option to make crouch, sneak, etc. into toggles, I recall the conversation and will look at this at the same time I process the autowalk/autorun item on roadmap. I think it's a good idea and will most likely run with it (pun) instead of making a bunch of different keybinds. Let me get to this and play around with it first though. That's a long way down the list from where we are right now.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm its 47 vs 54 %
Im looking fwd the smaller hud ever since
But I can wait 😊

Edit: i thought its all hud windows.. not just the non-fullscreen tab at the bottom. In that case, burn it with fire

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, by quarter-screen HUD I'm referring to the HUGE giant bottom panel of buttons that permanently occupy about 1/4 of the game area. And you need to toggle the cursor on and off with the enter key if you want to click the buttons. That one. :)

I'm honestly surprised that as many as 13% indicated a strong preference for it. Personally, I think "burn it with fire" is too mild a solution. But I'll still put it in the game. Just not right now.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the reply! And while I want to see DFU hit 1.0 as much as anyone else, I hope you're able to strike that balance - health always comes first. See you around. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Pango (@p_etchemaite) has made a nice QoL improvement when searching for locations on the travel map. You just have to enter any part of the name and it will instantly find all locations containing that string. Makes finding some of those weirdly named places much easier! And if there's only a single match, e.g. you enter "gothway g" then it just selects that location as before. I've been playing with this for a bit now, and I'm loving it.
This not only finds substrings, as was already the case in #DaggerfallUnity, but also makes suggestions if you made typos
As is typical in this project, someone makes a silent, awesome submission and everything becomes so much better :D This'll be great to work with.

pango

Post by pango »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:38 am As is typical in this project, someone makes a silent, awesome submission and everything becomes so much better :D This'll be great to work with.
Well, to be fair the PR has not even been merged yet!
But it gives nice results, I hope it'll make everybody's traveling a little easier :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart