food and drink?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
meritamas

food and drink?

Post by meritamas »

Anyone ever think of modding in food and drink?

As I imagine it would involve
- adding some 'artifacts' that would function as food and drink, respectively (like meats, grains, bread and water and the like)
- adding 'food' and 'drink' indicators to supplement the 'health', 'fatigua' and 'magicka' bars
- adding some places where food and drink could be bought (or adding these items to some existing shops' inventory)
- designing and implementing the underlying mechanics

It could work like:
- you start out with a full 'food' and 'drink' indicator
- these deplete as time progresses
- eating / drinking something recharges these bars
- if 'food' or 'drink' are at zero for a longer period of time, it could have some adverse effects on 'health', 'fatigue' and perhaps even 'magicka'

This could increase realism because food and drink have their own weight... if you go on a long adventure, you would need to carry these around with you or risk starving.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Jay_H

Re: food and drink?

Post by Jay_H »

We had talked about it a little awhile ago, but only in concept:
Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:24 amFood vendors: If a food/hunger system is implemented, it would be reasonable to have food vendors in general stores and taverns. This would presumably function independent of the tavern food option, which currently only restores health. Texture 213 offers some fruits, and other things could be reappropriated into new food sprites for the inventory. A very small and novice collection is here.

Hunger system: If the character has no food in the inventory, stamina will drop quickly (1/in-game minute perhaps). Depending on the food the character has in inventory, stamina may stabilize or increase over time. Every 6 or 8 in-game hours a food item is consumed, determining the character's new hunger and stamina disposition. Food is not be consumed during fast travel, and hunger disposition will remain as it was until 6 or 8 in-game hours have passed.
jayhova wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 pm I really like the idea of food vendors. I also had this idea in reference to an expanded commerce add-on. The idea would be that at the beginning of the day, carts would spawn outside the city gates and make their way to the town square and similar areas. The number and size of the carts would be determined by the number of people to feed. Large cities would have a large number of good quality carts.
AFAIK, this is the first dedicated thread on the topic.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

One of the things that should be addressed is how to handle drinking and water. I think it best to assume that the PC has a canteen and that as of now it adds no extra weight. Any time the player clicks a fountain, well, water pump the canteen is refilled. Resting in an inn does not count against used water and the canteen if full when you leave. Travelling refills your canteen once a day. You should be able to keep a water jug in your wagon. A create food and water spell would be useful. These are some ideas off the top of my head.

In any case the use of food and water should be automatic with a message when supplies are low.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Jay_H wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 pm AFAIK, this is the first dedicated thread on the topic.
Thank you, Jay_H. I am planning to go through your thread, which already seems to me a treasure trove of ideas, in the next couple of months. (Need to budget the time to process all those ideas :) )
jayhova wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:07 pm One of the things that should be addressed is how to handle drinking and water. I think it best to assume that the PC has a canteen and that as of now it adds no extra weight. Any time the player clicks a fountain, well, water pump the canteen is refilled. Resting in an inn does not count against used water and the canteen if full when you leave. Travelling refills your canteen once a day. You should be able to keep a water jug in your wagon. A create food and water spell would be useful. These are some ideas off the top of my head.

In any case the use of food and water should be automatic with a message when supplies are low.
Thank you too, jayhova. Your ideas seem to be better than my original ones. By keeping things as automatic as possible we can achieve optimal results without food management using up too much of the player's time. I'll try to get back to this topic by the end of June with an updated plan.

UPDATE 30 June 2019: I'll try to get back to this sometime in the summer.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

Currently, if you eat food or buy a drink at an inn, you cannot buy another for another few hours. Trying to will give you a message like "Im not hungry". (I tried it on a holiday where inns have free drinks)

So there is most likely already a varable somewhere that has to keep track of the last time you ate.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, there is a value called something like hasEatenRecently or something. I run into it once in a while.
As long as this mod does not go too far indepth I could do it if I had some items to work with. A basic version of it would just need a "Rations" item to be sold from General Stores.
After that, it's basically just a version of my Climates & Cloaks mod. But I have to figure out how to get items into that too. So once I do that I'll probably revisit this idea with hopefully the tools I need.
Unless someone else gets there before me though :D

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

My particular ideas regarding food and drinks and how they would work.

Generally food would provide immersion and require spending money and time to maintain your character with some minor bonuses, but major maluses for not eating (up to death). It would also add interesting activities and ways to earn money and benefits to owning a house (or maybe marriage down the road).

My ideas specifically:

Food and Drink would be measured with a golden gauge next to Magicka all in one. This would presume the player is conscientious enough to carry a water skin so he doesn't die of thirst and refills it whenever he rests, ect. so you don't have to worry about the little stuff.

Food would be available at taverns and general stores. Taverns would sell high price items for convenience like restaraunts that would provide immediate gratification, while general stores would provide long term survival rations at a cheaper price but not confer the same benefits.

Hunting would be a way to make money and give wilderness camping more interesting stuff to do using the quest system.

my ideas more specifically:
Spoiler!
Players with a more than full gauge would have a malus -10% to all attributes and -10% to all skill checks. trying to eat food at this stage will give you a message "you are stuffed!"

Players with a full gauge (3/4 full) would get a benefit to healing factor, +10% to all attributes, and give a small amount of fatigue and health regeneration every 5 in game minutes. +1 to each. trying to eat food at this stage will give a message : "you are full"

Players with more than 1/4 full would get no benefit or malus.

Players with less than 1/4 full would have a malus of -10% to all attributes and skill checks.

Players with an empty gauge will have a -20% malus to skill and attributes, suffer -1 fatigue and health every 5 in game minutes, and be unable to fast travel.

Players either could not store food on a ship or there would be a port restriction. it would be bad to have a hack around the system.

Taverns:
Provide a hot meal and perfectly temperatured beverages cooled in the cellar, brewed for taste and quality and food prepared for taste and fill.
in addition to the ala carte menu (2 gold each satiation point so ranging from 5% to 20% per item bought or 10-40 gold each) there would be "meal deals".

A simple meal "some savory stew and a small loaf of bread with a cold beer to wash it down" would be 50% satiation and provide most players with what they need.
other benefits - random 1-3 health points, random 1-6 fatigue and mana points.

A extravagant meal "A fine cut of spit-turned meat and a small tankard of mead" would be 75% satiation for the more hungry of players.
other benefits - double the benefit of the prior meal.

A small feast "Several courses of meats, vegetables, and a carafe of the finest wine" would provide 100% satiation
other benefits - triple the benefits of the first meal.

In addition, going to sleep in a bed with a full stomach (3/4 satiation) gives a bonus to healing and mana regeneration.

General stores and item food:
Provide more economical food supplies at 2 gold, but minus the bartering and the store quality discount. so 2 gold can become less than 1 gold if shopping carefully.... however, food quality will go down the cheaper the establishment.

These stores would provide Large quantities of food in two varieties: dried food and fresh food.
Fresh food would basically come in an item set, such as "Meat and Vegetable rations".
These items would range in age that would degrade every day. (Fresh, Good, Aging, Old, Rotten)
The satiation of each use would be 50% at fresh, and degrade 5% as food degrades. Rotten food would be -50% satiation and make the player lose 1-6 health, stamina, and mana.

this food would have to be cooked by pressing rest and making a small fire - which would take time.

The weight of such items would be enough to carry in inventory: 5kg each item with 5 uses each. It's enough that it would be smart to keep most items on the cart, but one item, such as a cheese wheel or large sausage would get you through a small crawl without putting you at risk.

Hunting encounters:

These encounters would be 100% dialogue based with an appropriate story that changes on skill checks or fails. this should be easy enough to program.

In addition to the above, static animals would show up in place of an enemy (20% chance) and disturb your camp/rest with a prompt type quest. "A *blank* has been around your campsite. Would you like to try hunting?"
If you say yes, the animal in question would be randomized from a list of animals with a better or worse chance of success and more rewards or maluses - it would require an archery, stealth, and critical strike check, and for all three to line up or fall within the criteria depending on the animal.

Basically... stealth check, then archery check, then critical check. Some animals require a stealth check to hunt. others dont but it makes things messy. sometimes criticals are required to take down an animal.

if you fail a check and have to chase an animal, there is a chance the animal runs into a dungeon (being lost in the process) but you'd get a free dungeon on your map and you'd be transported there.

skill checks would test raw skill instead of how the game calculates them normally. So if you pass the percentile you succeed, basically.
size determines length of time. 1, 2, or 3 hours.

small game: will bolt on a failed stealth check.

Rabbits, squirrels, or small bird- an easy stealth and archery check - a good chance if you have at least 20% archery/stealth skill.
Faun or large bird - a slightly more difficult check - 30% archery/stealth check.

Medium game:

Boar - a more difficult check which would check critical strike as well at 40% for archery, but 20% for stealth and critical.
If successful on all counts, the boar dies quick.
If you fail the stealth but gain the archery you wound it, and it takes forever to track down ( 2 extra hours).
If you fail the archery check but keep stealth you scare it away.
If you fail both you will be attacked and damaged 6-12 health, lose 20+ fatigue. animal will be unsalvageable.

Deer: - requires 40% on all counts.
Failing stealth check and/or archery check ends hunt with an appropriate message
Failing critical check takes forever to track down (2 extra hours)

Large game:

Bear:
Like the boar, but 60% and 40% stealth and crit.
If you fail the stealth and gain archery, the bear will attack.
If you gain stealth and archery but fail the crit, the bear will attack.
If the bear attacks you, double the losses of the boar, but all the meat will be salvageable.

Moose:
like the deer but 60% for all counts.

these are some ideas. Hunting them would give horns, tusks, meat, ect. that can be cooked at a fire when resting or sold to a general store or apothecary (particularly the blood and non-edibles.)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If there's some difficulty with adding new UI inside taverns to buy food, I say add a "food sack" item to player inventory at game start or via console for existing characters. If used within a tavern, it opens a prompt showing how much food is in the sack and for what price food can be bought there. Outside of taverns, it shows the food amount. The sack could tick down over time until it's empty, at which time you start to incur penalties.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Even something like this would be an improvement. I mean, i'd love for things to be fleshed out fully but we'll have to see if there are any takers.