Quest issues

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
stampedo

Quest issues

Post by stampedo »

Hello everyone, reporting some issues here:

- I got a quest from the fighter's guild. Had to travel to tavern and help someone there. The person says "I have contacted the fighter's guild", then nothing. Nothing in the dialog can bring the topic up. I've check every single room, no trace of a tiger or a bear.

- In the same tavern, someone asked me to help her sibling who's joined me. I shall resolve a conflict or something, but I have discussed with every single person in the tavern, no mention of it.

- Tried another one, it doesn't work. I have to rescue a kid in a residence. I can't mention the quest to the guy living in the residence, and there's no kid in any of the rooms.

Great game tho, enjoying it so far :)

Jay_H

Re: Quest issues

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums :)

Before we can help, we'll need some more information. I recommend going through the Bug Reporting Guidelines to bring out as much as possible. For quests specifically, we'll need to know the quest ID for each one. You can find them by pressing Shift-Tab during gameplay and looking at the top left corner. You can move between quests in debug by using the [ and ] keys.

One of the quests you refer to sounds like a modded one, For mods the best place to post is in its designated thread; for classic quests, the Bug Reports forum.

stampedo

Post by stampedo »

Hello, thanks for the answer. I'm having issues navigating the debug menu because I have an azerty keyboard.
Even when opening this menu, I have no idea where I should be looking. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's the first line, the yellow one. In this example, it's TESTING2 'A Second Helping.' Before that is the number that shows how many quests are running.

pango

Post by pango »

stampedo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:42 am Hello, thanks for the answer. I'm having issues navigating the debug menu because I have an azerty keyboard.
Even when opening this menu, I have no idea where I should be looking. :)
I confirm that [ and ] do not work on an azerty keyboard, because those require an Alt Gr combo...
I sometimes use the patch below so I can cycle between quests with left and right arrows, but I did not submit it since I'm not sure it's good enough for general use...

Code: Select all

diff --git a/Assets/Scripts/Game/UserInterface/HUDQuestDebugger.cs b/Assets/Scripts/Game/UserInterface/HUDQuestDebugger.cs
index 48aebac9..c9316844 100644
--- a/Assets/Scripts/Game/UserInterface/HUDQuestDebugger.cs
+++ b/Assets/Scripts/Game/UserInterface/HUDQuestDebugger.cs
@@ -148,9 +148,11 @@ namespace DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface
             if (displayState < DisplayState.Nothing || displayState > DisplayState.QuestStateFull)
                 displayState = DisplayState.Nothing;

-            if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.LeftBracket))
+            if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.LeftBracket) ||
+               Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.LeftArrow))
                 MovePreviousQuest();
-            else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.RightBracket))
+            else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.RightBracket) ||
+                     Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.RightArrow))
                 MoveNextQuest();
         }

Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

stampedo

Post by stampedo »

Never managed to make any single quest work.
I have installed the quest pack.

stampedo

Post by stampedo »

For some reason, quest pack breaks the game.
Made a new game after removing the quest pack, everything worked fine.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

When you say it breaks the game, what's the result? What happens to the game?

If you can find a way to upload it on a site like pastebin, your player log could contain useful information.

stampedo

Post by stampedo »

Sorry if I'm not consistent enough with my feedback.
I mean no quest work apart from the main story line. I made a new playthrough removing the quest packs (only vanilla quests) and quests worked as intended. If I use the quest pack, quests will break (oddly enough the main story line still works).

How do I find the player log?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It depends on your OS. Go into the main Daggerfall Unity folder, where the game executable is. There'll be a PDF called Daggerfall Unity Manual. About halfway through there'll be instructions for finding a player log or output log. You'll want to post it somewhere like pastebin.com since it's too big for the forums.

The quests breaking can mean a lot of things. Does it mean they can't start, or they can start but disappear afterwards? Or the game starts to slow down?