special advantages/disadvantages getting stronger at higher character levels

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
meritamas

special advantages/disadvantages getting stronger at higher character levels

Post by meritamas »

As I understand, special advantages/disadvantages are currently binary - either you have it or you don't.

In some cases (or perhaps in all cases) though, I think they should be getting stronger as your character advances to higher levels. The justification for this is that they are communicated as 'class (dis)advantages'. Let's say you create a 'Warlock' class. If the advantage belongs to the Warlock class, one would assume that a Level 15 Warlock would benefit from the given advantage more than a Level 2 Warlock. Same goes for disadvantages.

I'll give just two examples now
1. Spell absorption. Now, it's you have it or you don't, while I think it should be more like: a Level 1 character of such class would have a 5% chance of absorbing spells, at level 2, it would be 10% and it could max out e.g. at level 19 with 95% or at level 20 with 100% depending on whether 100% absorption is not considered too big an advantage.
2. Accute hearing. Now, a Level 1 character of a class with such ability might hear a little better than others while a Level 20 character might hear things from like 3 times as far away.

What do you think?

One more explanatory note. So far, I have been proposing 'unleveling' things, now, I seem to be going in the opposite direction. With all previous proposals maintained, this is because in this exceptional instance, I think character level does have a role to play (maybe this should be the only role it plays).
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.