several possible teleport destinations

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
meritamas

several possible teleport destinations

Post by meritamas »

I am sure I have read about this somewhere on the forums, but can't seem to find it now. The idea was to have multiple options where to teleport.

I have also mentioned a related issue in this thread of mine about magic. The idea there was to be able to teleport anywhere you have already been (I alse raised the idea of astral projection).

As I see it now, we only have the Recall spell which functions to memorize the current location and also to teleport us back there.
I think we could improve on this system in the following way:
1. There should be two (2) separate effects. One to memorize the current location and another to teleport the PC to one of the memorized locations.
2. More locations should be memorizeable at any given time. The number of places a character can 'keep in memory' at any one given time could be contingent on e.g. his Mysticism skill.
3. There should also be a UI to manage the 'memorized places'. This would allow you to delete ('forget') a previously memorized place and choose, which one of these your destination should be on the next teleport. (Any change could cost the PC a set amount of magicka.)
4. The teleport effect would take the character to the place selected as indicated above.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

pango

Re: several possible teleport destinations

Post by pango »

There's also the Teleportation service, when you're a top rank mages guild member...

I also kind of liked the way teleportation stones work in Two Worlds: as the game progresses you're given more and more stones that you can leave on the ground and teleport back to. That's another way to cap the number of teleportation anchors you can have at any time...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This is definitely mod territory here.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

pango wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:03 pm There's also the Teleportation service, when you're a top rank mages guild member...
I meant the teleportation the PC can do by himself.

A line of reasoning here could be as follows.
Is teleportation possible? - Clearly is, we have a service for it. - But can a mage do it by himself? - Clearly he can, we have a spell for that - Okay, but if a sole mage can do it, why is he limited to just one destination at a time?

If teleportation was impossible altogether, I could be okay with that.
If teleportation was only possible by using some really complex and arcane infrastructure and only from a set point to another set point and on these grounds the PC could not engage in this activity, I could be okay with that.
But in our case, when even a mediocre mage can teleport, I think a hard limitation of just one destination is arbitrary. It would be more suitable, if as a mage gained skill and/or relevant attributes, he was able to use this spell effect with more flexibility and versatility. Hence the proposal.
Hazelnut wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:26 pm This is definitely mod territory here.
Of course. I understand that DFU seeks to recreate Daggerfall as it was, with possibly a few QoL additions and additions that the game's original developers wanted to put in, but for some external reason couldn't. Such as I am proposing could be implemented as a mod and not as core game functionality.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

zaklaus

Post by zaklaus »

I think there could definitely be a room for bookmarking teleportation places. I also think the bookmark capacity could be based off of the player's INT. I'd definitely like to see a mod which would tackle on this.

I believe one could implement such feature, a spell once cast would show a dialogue asking to whether store a new location (and asking for a name) or showing you a list of all the stored locations. I haven't checked the code responsible for teleportation (used by the Teleport spell), but I believe it could be made use of to achieve this mod's goal.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

I see no problem with the maximum number of locations based on INT. The formula shouldn't be a linear one, though. The best I can think of quickly would be like floor ((INT / 33)^3).
This would yield the following results

INT 33 number of locations 1
INT 42 number of locations 2
INT 50 number of locations 3
INT 60 number of locations 6
INT 70 number of locations 9
INT 80 number of locations 14
INT 90 number of locations 20
INT 100 number of locations 27
INT 125 number of locations 54

below 33 - sorry, no locations, you are not intelligent enough to remember a single place accurately enough to successfully teleport there

Personally, I would prefer two separate effects, one for bookmarking and one for teleporting, but an implementation with one effect like zaklaus described would also be perfectly okay.

Decreases to INT like from diseases or magical damages to INT also need to be tackled. The question: if the available slots for bookmarking decreases below the number of already bookmarked locations, which locations are 'forgotten' first - should it be random or should the player be able to influence that? (Like by placing more important locations in the first slots and less important ones in subsequent ones.)