UI/controls - enhancements

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
mikeprichard

Re: UI/controls - enhancements

Post by mikeprichard »

Sorry for spamming this topic again, but I'm seeing more and more great UI enhancements coming out in base DFU. Any chance we may eventually see this "next step" in the already great DFU inventory UI options? Would be extremely slick.

Inventory sheet UI enhancements
1) Use info panel to show gold amount/gold weight; show full item data (all enchants) in mouseover tooltips**
**Credited to BansheeXYZ (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1614&start=10#p18420)

stampedo

Post by stampedo »

I don't know if this was suggested, but a "Remove all/Take all" in the inventory would be useful.
Sometimes I have to drop all items if I have to swim, or if I want to loot everything at once.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I agree that a "take all" (i.e. "remove" all in weird Daggerfall lingo) function especially would be nice.

Also noting a recent discussion with Interkarma where he indicates he's personally in favor of optionally replacing the Interaction Modes with more intuitive mechanics (see also my request in the first post of this topic) - viewtopic.php?f=4&p=26773#p26767. This would be a huge improvement over classic, particularly for the majority of DFU players who won't have prior experience with the archaic and extremely inconvenient "modes". I'm hoping this can be revisited after DFU hits 1.0.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Pango has now implemented in pre-alpha build 0.10.14 the request "Use inventory info panel to show gold amount/weight when mouseover "GOLD" panel"; the OP list has been updated. Thanks, pango!

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Lokkrin, you were too quick for me (yes, I'm an old-school grandpa gamer too) - this is what I just posted in the original topic in response to your above comment:

Critical difference is "casual" (gawd, I hate that overused term) in this case is good - the only "difficulty" we're talking about here is the awkwardness of an obsolete clunky control scheme, which for this "old-school" gamer (how many cliches can I fit in one sentence?) who himself grew up playing games in the '90s, isn't a "challenge" as much as simply primitive and inconvenient design. Also, I think you're missing the fundamental point that my or your or someone else's proposal for a better alternative to classic's Interaction Modes would be optional, not the default setting - see e.g. the "click to attack" base DFU option, which the player must choose to activate as an alternative to swinging the mouse all over his/her desk to land a hit.

EDIT: That all said, again, I'm happy for essentially any optional alternative to the existing classic mess, as long as it doesn't replace classic's four different modes with four different keystrokes (i.e. new modes) of its own!

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Allthough not as fancy as the changes you are discussing here, this was implemented in 0.10.14

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2969

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Lokkrin - please don't feel like you need to apologize; you weren't rude, just voicing an opinion (which is a big part of what the forums are about!). Practically everyone here is just excited about the potential DFU offers, and kicking around different ideas is only to the good of the project. Also, I can't take any credit at all for DFU development - I have made a few minor contributions/updates to the UESP wiki based on classic Daggerfall reverse-engineering and testing done by others, but the actual work on DFU is being done by others here. I'm just along for the ride. Anyway, would love to see more ideas around this from you and others who are interested. As I mentioned in the first post here (see the link), Interkarma himself may revisit this at some point and consider an optional setting to base DFU, which would be amazing, but even if not, mods are a thing, so this may spark something eventually.

And Ralzar - yes, I did see that very nice recently added new option, and it is now my default! For me, it would still be better to have a full alternative to the Modes themselves, but in the meantime, being able to see when you're about to pickpocket someone instead of just talk to them is a major improvement. Great to see much-needed QoL features like this continue to be added to breathe new life into Daggerfall.
hannafamilycomputer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:43 am Crouching down dosen't always mean you are trying to sneak around and steal things. It doesn't make sense for realism. Otherwise, the Skyrim guards should just walk around and arrest anyone who crouhes down, even if it was just to pick up the sweetroll they dropped.
Finally, continuing this bit of the discussion from the other topic, re: the above, (EDIT) I had forgotten my own request from many months ago was to use the "sneak" (not "crouch") key to signal stealing "mode", so your issue wouldn't be relevant with my proposal - sorry for the confusion!

I completely agree that crouching in real life doesn't always equal "sneaking"/thievery (this issue has been discussed quite a lot in the past), but from a standpoint of simplifying the control scheme and avoiding the pitfalls already mentioned related to sticking to the old Interaction Modes, this proposal would have the advantages of fitting seamlessly into one overarching control scheme while also being familiar to today's players. Yet again, though, I'd get behind any similar solution that means you don't have to toggle four different "F#" keys every time you want to perform some basic common action in the game world.
Last edited by mikeprichard on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.