[MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: [MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

Post by pango »

A very specific event that could trigger an autosave is...
Right after game creation, when you get control over your character.

I've seen streamers painstakingly create their custom character then... forget that there's no autosave, die in minutes (say, on PH's first imp), then come to realize they have no backup of character creation. Not a good start.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Excellent point, pango. Would be nice to have that autosave made by default.

aches

Post by aches »

Right after game creation, when you get control over your character.
I'll address this in the update. So far I've got
  • Custom Formatting
  • Resolve potential timescale conflicts
  • On Rest, Enter Exit Interior/Exterior, Fast Travel
  • Disable autosave intervals
Next up will be the autosave limiting and I'll put out a release and start working on a PR for native df-unity autosaving.

EDIT: formatting
Last edited by aches on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

aches wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:02 pm start working on a PR for native df-unity autosaving
Very nice - much appreciated.

Kayzee

Post by Kayzee »

Hmmm... You know I kind of wonder... Would it be possible to use autosaves in such a way to create a sorta roguelike-type thing by autosaveing and overwriting the saved game so you are forced to deal with the decisions you make? Eh, probobly not really that much point really, I just thought it might be sorta neat to some people.

dMike

Post by dMike »

Kayzee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:29 pm Would it be possible to use autosaves in such a way to create a sorta roguelike-type thing by autosaveing and overwriting the saved game so you are forced to deal with the decisions you make?
It would be trivial by just limiting the number of autosaves to 1. There's an intended feature of the mod to have a setting for the maximum number of saves.
The drawback is that with only one autosave you risk loosing/damaging your character by triggering a bug and then having the save overwritten automatically.

Kayzee

Post by Kayzee »

dMike wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:21 pm It would be trivial by just limiting the number of autosaves to 1. There's an intended feature of the mod to have a setting for the maximum number of saves.
The drawback is that with only one autosave you risk loosing/damaging your character by triggering a bug and then having the save overwritten automatically.
Yeah it's a risk for sure, but the whole point of playing that way is to take risks isn't it? Not that anyone wants to get screwed over by a bug, but that's just kinda what you have to deal with if you want to play in a style that minimizes save scumming. I'm not sure if Daggerfall is very conducive to that playstyle despite it's many roguelike roots because it has a bit too much of a time investment, but I think it would be a cool option!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'd just hate for autosave to fire right after you get paralyzed by a scorpion :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This mod looks great, I think it takes the DFU in the tune with more recent way the RPGs are played.
Its not that fun to loose hours of progress because there is no autosave and you got sucked in the game too much .)

Jay, I GUESS you can reload the previous autosave than :)

aches

Post by aches »

Daggerfall Autosave Pre-Release 0.9.0b

Installation
  • Grab the zip of your OS and install into the Daggerfall-Unity mod directory. eg DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Autosave
Features
  • Formatting autosave names
  • Save on enter exit locations, resting, fast travel
  • Disable timed autosaves
  • Autosave Limiting

Compatibility
  • If you enable autosave limiting and have many old autosaves those old saves will be deleted to match the number of maximum autosaves. As long as they have the work Autosave in the name.
  • :!: Autosaves are identified by name. Having the word Autosave in a save will mark it for deletion :o

Download here!