Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.0 (2019-05-29)

Post by pango »

I submitted OnEncounter event PRs to make encounters more reliably at high time compressions. I did some tests with it and Warm Ashes, seems to work okay, but would definitely benefit from more testing.

Skippable encounters talk about "hostile encounter(s)", couldn't that wording become too biased for future random encounters quests? (on the other hand the code is no more neutral, with its AreEnemiesNearby() function ;) )

If I understand correctly you can remove the "doesn't update vitals" known issue, since it should be fixed in 0.4.0.

Lastly, I noticed that tedious travel was still not deactivated on reload if you die while tedious traveling... I submitted a PR
And another to keep the heading when Tedious Travel is interrupted (it was kept only when arriving at destination)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.0 (2019-05-29)

Post by jedidia »

Skippable encounters talk about "hostile encounter(s)", couldn't that wording become too biased for future random encounters quests?
Well, the intent of the addition does seem to be to avoid enemies by skillchecks, so the name seems to be accurate. If it would avoid quest encounters, that would probably cause problems...
If I understand correctly you can remove the "doesn't update vitals" known issue, since it should be fixed in 0.4.0.
Indeed. My maintenance-foo is weak these days...
Lastly, I noticed that tedious travel was still not deactivated on reload if you die while tedious traveling... I submitted a PR
And another to keep the heading when Tedious Travel is interrupted (it was kept only when arriving at destination)
Thanks a lot! Will see about merging somewhen this week.

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.1 (2019-06-08)

Post by jedidia »

The Pango-Patch is out, featuring some bugfixes for annyoing little issues.

I didn't merge the OnEncounter stuff yet, I'll wait with that until the feature is merged in the core (give me a heads up when that happens, it's entirely possible I'll miss it).

pango

Post by pango »

Sweet :)
The last one will probably need more play testing too
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm its crashing my game, no mods, no custom quests..

I load a save game, get a black screen with compass, I can turn around /compass moves/ but cant see anything.
When I press ESC, suddenly the 3d view appears with a menu tab, when I press continue, I get back to black screen :lol:
output_log.rar
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pm Hmm its crashing my game, no mods, no custom quests..

I load a save game, get a black screen with compass, I can turn around /compass moves/ but cant see anything.
When I press ESC, suddenly the 3d view appears with a menu tab, when I press continue, I get back to black screen :lol:
Looks like a strange issue in sound clip caching, maybe due to concurrent access?
That doesn't look directly related to Tedious Travel, but that could be something indirectly triggered... maybe
Does it happen consistently?

Code: Select all

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,UnityEngine.AudioClip].Add (Int32 key, UnityEngine.AudioClip value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.SoundReader.CacheClip (Int32 key, UnityEngine.AudioClip clip) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.SoundReader.GetAudioClip (Int32 soundIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallAudioSource.Apply (Single spatialBlend) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallAudioSource.SetSound (SoundClips soundClip, AudioPresets preset, Single spatialBlend) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.RMBLayout.AddAnimalAudioSource (UnityEngine.GameObject go) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.RMBLayout.AddMiscBlockFlats (DaggerfallConnect.DFBlock& blockData, UnityEngine.Transform flatsParent, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallBillboardBatch animalsBillboardBatch, DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.TextureAtlasBuilder miscBillboardsAtlas, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallBillboardBatch miscBillboardsBatch) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.GameObjectHelper.CreateRMBBlockGameObject (DFBlock blockData, Int32 layoutX, Int32 layoutY, Boolean addGroundPlane, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallRMBBlock cloneFrom, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallBillboardBatch natureBillboardBatch, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallBillboardBatch lightsBillboardBatch, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallBillboardBatch animalsBillboardBatch, DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.TextureAtlasBuilder miscBillboardAtlas, DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallBillboardBatch miscBillboardBatch, ClimateNatureSets climateNature, ClimateSeason climateSeason) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld+<UpdateLocation>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutineManaged2(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:UpdateLocations()
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:Update()
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, yes its very consistent, I tryed loading various saves with the same results. I cant get in the game with this mod ON. Rest of the mods are off...
Also, no sound mods (loose files) etc.

PS: if I leave the "quest packs" folder untouched, I get just the black screen with compass, but I cant rotate, and ESC doesnt show the 3d view with the options tab. If I add " - " in front of the quest pack folder (turning it OFF) I get the behaviour described above (ESC shows the 3d game view etc..)

pango

Post by pango »

So you confirm that it does not happen with that mod off?
I don't see how this exception is triggered consistently (if that's always the same exception that's raised; If you load a game save to another place, does the log also contain the same exception I quoted?), much less how this mod could be involved...

See, what seems to happen is this: while loading terrain, the game feels the need to preload some animal sound (probably a horse or a cow, you get the idea):
  • is the sound in the cache? No
  • load the sound
  • add it to the cache. Hey, it's already there! (crash)
As you see that shouldn't happen, unless several things are trying to load the same sound at the same time, But DFU makes little use of threads in general (just in terrain generation as far as I'm aware, but it's confined to terrain generation code, and has little use for audio).

A workaround to this problem can be added, simplest being to wrap the logic above with a lock(clipDict) {}.
But it could be hiding a real issue that I don't understand; A lot more code is not thread safe.
And again, no relation to this mod that I can think of.

I tried going to Sentinel too (X=397 Y=343) with only that mod, worked just fine... I'm not sure a game save would help
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, I confirm that if the tedious travel mod is OFF,the game works 100% even with all the mods.

If I turn it ON, game stops to work, with mods, or without any mods.

I will try to get several logs from different locations so we can see if anything is changing there.

And I might add a save just in case...

Strange bug indeed...

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I assume you are running the latest stable DFUnity build?
Have you tried on a clean DFUnity install that never had any mods installed?

The only thing I'm doing with sounds is deactivate horse and footstep sounds under time acceleration. But if that leads to cache duplication, we have a core bug underlying this somewhere.
But even then, this shouldn't happen right away when loading a game. TediousTravel isn't doing anything except for loading the port data until the travel map is called, and only messes with sounds once you actually travel. 'Tis an eldritch puzzle indeed...