Problem with classic save import.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jay_H

Re: Problem with classic save import.

Post by Jay_H »

If you have a walkthrough for the parts of the main quest you need to fill in, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes with console commands ;) It's really quite simple. Increasing your run speed can also help reduce that time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I can confirm that "setmqstage 1" also clears global vars. This is an oversight or faulty memory on my part. I'd avoid using "setmqstage" at all for live characters in its current state. My sincere apologies for leading you down the garden path on this one. :oops:

I will have this fixed in June builds at end of month. If you don't want to wait a couple of weeks, it's probably best just to cheese through the quests really fast. Otherwise, just hit pause on the main quest and play guild/world stuff. I'll make it so you can use "setmqstage 5" to safely ramp up to that point without changing any other character state.

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Ah, so I wasn't totally incompetent! :D

Thanks for letting me know. Knowing me I'll take your advice and cheese the hell out of it one evening and continue playing or do the quests back in DOSBox, but that would undo like 16 hours of progress. Weighing the options I'm leaning towards cheesing, just need to research the "how to" details. Good to know that I've become an accidentally useful (pre?)alpha tester though ;)
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Well, I went ahead and did it. Took me almost 2h but I'm all caught up and I've used that opportunity to fix my Helseth/Elysana mistake (gonna do Helseth 1st). Now Aubk-i finally sent me letter to start her second quest and Cyndassa will give me the werewolf quest as well. All seems to be fine except that my reputation with different social groups also got flattened, so I will have to check what it was before resetting MQ and somehow restore it, be it good or bad. Any tips for that? All the tele2's, etc were mighty helpful, so thanks for pointing in that direction :)
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

While I have managed to already finish the game on my previous character wile waiting for the June builds, I have also started another run in DOSBox, thinking I will port straight into DFU Retro Mode and continue... buuuuut!

What happened with setmqstage? :o I thought now I would be able to just load up the classic save and go, or at the very worst use the command to put me where I should be, but my quest log is empty again and the command is gonzo :(

Not a huge deal, will roll the same char purely in DFU if needed, just wondering.

~ George Bernard Shaw

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

From the commit on github:
These commands were created for rapid testing in 2017 during quest system development. They used specially crafted backbone quests designed to deliver just a slice of the game. These commands also destructively modify player level, reputatations, and global vars.
Some new players have been using these commands to progress the main quest, but each stage ends in a dead-end from custom backbone. I consider this too destructive to leave in the game at this late stage of development.
Will consider a safer more robust version later.

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Ah yes, I have missed the removal part in the release notes. Wasn't looking for it considering what has been said in this thread :)

~ George Bernard Shaw

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've decided to work on a new setup for doing this. I just didn't have time to get it ready for this round of builds. The new setup will become part of a system to resume main quest automatically when importing classic saves.