COMPLETE DFU OVERHAUL ROADMAP

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Freak2121

Re: COMPLETE DFU OVERHAUL ROADMAP

Post by Freak2121 »

Upgrade Terrain heightmap.

Remaking entire DF height map. Making more realistic terrain features.
Yo, feel free to use my hand-upgraded heightmap in any way you see fit. If you need it in larger sizes I can provide them too. :)

A quick comparison between vanilla and that.

Rytelier

Post by Rytelier »

VMblast wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:56 pm I have to disagree on this one. While 3D would make it seem easier or better on the superficial level, (...)
Performance shouldn't be problem at all, we are not aiming to hyper-realistic characters. People with average PCs should be able to run it without major hit. We are using a powerful engine.
jayhova wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 am I also tend to disagree with this one. Hits in daggerfall are stat based and not supposed to be based on player ability. (...)
I dream about more action combat in Daggerfall, getting inspirations from games like Dark Messiah and Dark Souls. Combat like that is more engaging and fun than Daggerfall's click click click style combat. If you want to stay with original system, you don't have to use this mod.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Rytelier wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm
jayhova wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 am I also tend to disagree with this one. Hits in daggerfall are stat based and not supposed to be based on player ability. (...)
I dream about more action combat in Daggerfall, getting inspirations from games like Dark Messiah and Dark Souls. Combat like that is more engaging and fun than Daggerfall's click click click style combat. If you want to stay with original system, you don't have to use this mod.
Daggerfall is a descendant of games like Dungeon Master and similar turn based games. Daggerfall was made to take the turns and feed them to you in real time. This makes TES II more of a RTS-RPG. That's a mouthful. The problem is, and has been, that you see your PC swing, the sword or whatever passes through your opponent and nothing happens. The other problem is that giving visual feedback for what is happening is extremely difficult. Realistically your opponent should dodge based on their dodge skill, block with their shield, have blows deflect off armor, etc. How would you even animate that?

Quite frankly, I would prefer enemies that use the items they possess and paper doll those items onto the MOB you are fighting long before trying to create all of the above. Really how many time do you fight an archer and he has neither a bow nor any arrows.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Rytelier

Post by Rytelier »

jayhova wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:59 pm Realistically your opponent should dodge based on their dodge skill, block with their shield, have blows deflect off armor, etc. How would you even animate that?
And this is one of reasons why characters should be fully 3D, with that it won't be that much problem other than someone having to make animations.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Seems like a very non-trivial task.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

VMblast wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:18 pm For all intents and purposes, this is completely new game work.
Interkarma wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:24 am Very exciting! I'm fascinated by where this community can take DFU in the future.
I am also happy to see signs that DFU does not end when the original game is completely recreated. I am also working on a wish list I would like implemented, mainly related to magic. Please use any of the ideas there to advance your work.

What I would like to add here and now is this. The members of this community have a wide range of preferences, expectations, ideas and opinions. Some are more into action and graphics, some - like me - are more into realism and immersion. There will be disagreements. Most of the time, there will be no right or wrong way to do the given thing with each option involving its own tradeoff which would appeal more to some people than to others.

So far, while the ultimate goal was to recreate Classic Daggerfall, these questions could be resolved rather simply. 'How does it work in Classic DF?' Figure out. Apply the answer to DFU. Done.

When it comes to further developing DFU, this will not be so easy. The community will need to make decisions. Whatever that means. One could also raise the question of who'll get to decide the disagreements. This issue should be addressed if the community is to stay and work together. I also see high moddability as an important part of the solution because any decision about core game features loses its divisiveness if the game can be relatively easily modded to accommodate the needs of those whose preferences the core game feature does not favor.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Freak2121 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:45 am
Upgrade Terrain heightmap.

Remaking entire DF height map. Making more realistic terrain features.
Yo, feel free to use my hand-upgraded heightmap in any way you see fit. If you need it in larger sizes I can provide them too. :)

A quick comparison between vanilla and that.
I have been trying to figure out how to draw a heightmap myself for the purposes of drawing roads.

I would very much appreciate it if you could tell me how you generated your DFU heightmap. Having a heightmap is not the only thing I would like - so providing the map itself doesn't really help. I would also like to be able to generate one myself so I could tweak the algorithm to add/remove stuff as needed, like add circles for population centers as I mentioned.

I don't know what class and what method can be used to determine a particular (X,Y) point's height. I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.