AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
MasonFace

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by MasonFace »

Hello, I haven't checked in here in a while.
Neither have I, lol. Been real busy with life and stuff but I intend to return to this eventually.
I've updated my mask script to better handle long straight horizontal and vertical edges . . . I'm willing to reprocess the masks at 2x scale and then you could perhaps use XBRZ or a similar tool to get it to the final size. Reply if you're interested.
Those edge results look fantastic, but I believe we're already beyond that point. KoW has been refining the 8x sprite edges by hand and giving them the polish they've needed.
BTW if anyone is interested in Blood here I recently released a new version of my upscale pack
Looks awesome! I've been wanting to play Blood again, and I'll definitely be playing it with this graphics pack installed. Last time I looked, Blood was considered abandonware and was free... did that change? Also, what source port do you recommend?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just passing by to say hello :)
Nice Blood results, legendary game. I have the recent "Fresh supply" remake to go thru, but will check the vanila as well!

Yes, Ive updated the mobs quite a bit, added missing wereboar, missing atronach frames, cleaned some bad outlines and some cutouts in the sprites, so now its beyond the original state.

Still, most of the outlines are not soft atm

phredreeke

Post by phredreeke »

MasonFace wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm Looks awesome! I've been wanting to play Blood again, and I'll definitely be playing it with this graphics pack installed. Last time I looked, Blood was considered abandonware and was free... did that change? Also, what source port do you recommend?
BloodGDX if you want joystick support or custom difficulty settings. NBlood otherwise.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

phredreeke wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:17 pm Hello, I haven't checked in here in a while. I've updated my mask script to better handle long straight horizontal and vertical edges

I'm not reworking this script for 8x scale and spending another 5 or so hours reprocessing masks - however I'm willing to reprocess the masks at 2x scale and then you could perhaps use XBRZ or a similar tool to get it to the final size. Reply if you're interested.

BTW if anyone is interested in Blood here I recently released a new version of my upscale pack https://www.moddb.com/games/blood/addon ... -pack-2051

Hi Phredreeke,

I plan to upscale the city comonners using AI to 4x scale. Its 528 files, so much less than the MOBs.
Could you please generate the alpha masks? I never used this techique, not sure how to apply them fast to get the resulting images..

Just asking if its possible..

PS: The masks should ideally have smooth edges without aliasing. If not possible, I think I can add slight blur to them afterwards. Sprites look much better ingame, if they have smooth outlines..

Thank you ;)

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:34 pm I plan to upscale the city comonners using AI to 4x scale. Its 528 files, so much less than the MOBs.
Could you please generate the alpha masks? I never used this techique, not sure how to apply them fast to get the resulting images..
Maybe you'd be able to try out my method? I believe you have ESRGAN set up (I don't ATM - had to make a clean reinstall of my system, some unresolved issues remain still), so you'll only need mtPaint and GIMP (assuming you don't have 'em already). It does not rely on separate mask processing but still gives good results (a sample commoner can be seen here).

I tried my best to make an easy step-by-step explanation of how to do it:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... th-esrgan/

For pre-rendered commoner sprites at 4x I would recommend the Cartoon Painted model.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks for a reply, yes Cartoon painted seems the best, I use 400 000 version, its nicely sharp and works well for commoners.
Thats a lot of steps in that method, I think for me it would be easier to cut out the upscaled image in photoshop. It takes me cca 10 seconds when everything is set up correctly. Still thats 88 minutes of total concentration. Its not THAT easy... Than u need to rename the files back etc... But I think I can do that in few days.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I have em ready upscalled on my HDD... the cut out is a bit problematic (but what is not problematic when u really get into it, right?)
Still, Id hope for something more automated to cut em out, this wont be as easy :X

EDIT: after observing the upscales, I even managed to f them up as well, back to step one... after some sleep that is :?

phredreeke

Post by phredreeke »

Do you still need masks? I would need the numbers of the sprites in question... (or alternatively a folder with them all in one place)

phredreeke

Post by phredreeke »

Unrelated, but I thought I'd post this upscale I made some time ago.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Very cool! I remember when that video first came out when I was in high school. I think I could only stand to play about an hour of the final game that was released. lol

Very good upscale of that video. I remember the version I watched years ago being very small and having lots of compression artifacts.

Would you be willing to try upscaling the Daggerfall videos? That's another project that I got started on, but never finished. If I had time, I'd try upscaling it with a model that does better with dithering. I was able to upscale the live action video (DAG2.vid), and I tried the others but I ran out of steam before I could finish any of them.