Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:39 am * Completing the dungeon was satisfying, rather than "Light! Light at last! I can see the sky!" :lol:
I think we all know that feeling. :lol:

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I was thinking it might be a good idea to allow mods etc to override the small dungeon setting for say quests for which a large dungeon would be appropriate or even necessary.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, I myself don't see the need. If I want to stall for time, I can send them to a main quest dungeon or to multiple dungeons :lol:

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:03 am Hmm, I myself don't see the need.
Perhaps the quest will require the recovery of a quantity of things instead of one. Perhaps a dungeon could have 10 quest items in it and the quest requires the the PC retrieves 5 of them. Who knows. Maybe the dungeon in question was the home of a particular people. To complete the quest you must recover 5 examples of armor or weapons. Perhaps you are paid more or gain notoriety for recovering more.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

algfr

Post by algfr »

Ok so on my side I have tested this since I started to play for a few dozens of hours

For most of dungeons there were not too many issues, I could finish most of them in less than 30 min and find quest items/targets

I only remember of one specific dungeons where for some off reason it was "separated" in two different parts, with the quest target being in a part that was unaccessible. The dungeons was small so I was able to browse all walls to look for a hidden door but no luck. THe only way I managed to get there was with a cheat command.

So I would say it mostly works with maybe a few exceptions. How do we know for sure the blocks are all connected ?

Thanks

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for your feedback. So far everyone that's gotten back to me has said the smaller dungeons make the random questing faster and more fun.
algfr wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 am So I would say it mostly works with maybe a few exceptions. How do we know for sure the blocks are all connected ?
With smaller dungeons enabled there is only a single central block, so by definition it will be connected to itself. :) Not all blocks allow mundane traversal however. Sometimes it is necessary to swim or fly, or solve a teleport puzzle, or manipulate moving parts to traverse fully.

If you can give me an example of a dungeon and the explain the difficulty you had, I can take a look at that block with smaller dungeons enabled to see if it's actually viable or not. It's certainly possible not all blocks in game data are self-viable. If that's the case, these blocks can be blacklisted from smaller dungeon selection.

algfr

Post by algfr »

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your response.

Maybe as you said I missed something. How can I show you that example exactly ? A save game ?

algfr

Post by algfr »

Never mind there was a hidden door....

That being said this dungeon is strange because then there was a floating skull that was actutally teleporting me to different places. Is that intended ?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep - floating skulls, red brick doors, pressure plates on the floors, tapestries, secret doors, moving walls, and more. There are loads of tricks built into various dungeons for getting around. Whenever you hit a seeming dead end, there's usually a secret nearby. The main problem is that DF doesn't help you find any of them.

DFU uses the same game data as classic. All of these little action records were put into the game by the original dungeon designers who built the block layouts back in the day.

Vondur

Post by Vondur »

I love smaller dungeons!
Adventure Art: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLFHRO ... VAelOQrl3Q

Let's Play Daggerfall Unity, DARK KNIGHT (No magicka): https://youtu.be/CO_WHL1cjNU

Let's Play Daggerfall Unity, MAD GENIUS: https://youtu.be/gPL9xKpvet0