Isle of Betony

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
chtujo

Re: Isle of Betony

Post by chtujo »

Kamer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:28 pm Part of the coast by Yeomhouse Crypts

Sorry, these might seem like a weird questions, but how does this affect performance / loading times? Was UncannyValley's mod designed to be able to load in so many locations? If so, would we be able to scale this up to other places in the Iliac Bay? Also what would be the limit of new locations before a significant performance hit would occur? Too many questions I know.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

CHAPPJO wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:36 am Sorry, these might seem like a weird questions, but how does this affect performance / loading times? Was UncannyValley's mod designed to be able to load in so many locations? If so, would we be able to scale this up to other places in the Iliac Bay? Also what would be the limit of new locations before a significant performance hit would occur? Too many questions I know.

There is no solid answer to any of these until Betony is at least done. Then I'll be able to see how realizable this project is. So any of the answers I provide may be subject to change.

-How does this affect performance / loading times?

As of right now there is a slight hit to performance. It's expected to be loading so many objects/locations into the game.
Nothing jarring, though I will say that stutters when traveling are more frequent.

*I have not tested this really. When I test out the new locations I have a very high running speed to cross the land so thats putting
more strain than normal. I also have not tested this without other programs running. I have Unity, Photoshop, Discord, and Firefox
with a 3-4 tabs open which also takes memory. Normal play will be fine imo at least for right now.

-Was UncannyValley's mod designed to be able to load in so many locations? If so, would we be able to scale this up to other places in the Iliac Bay?

Likely not to the extent I'm using it for but if it works, why not? I have no doubt when Betony's done and presumably works fine, it can go to other locations as well. It's not like the locations are loaded at once. Just like the terrain, it only loads with the chunks so if you aren't in Betony, you won't have locations there loaded in.

- Also what would be the limit of new locations before a significant performance hit would occur?

Absolutely zero. However the thing that will hit performance here is that I'm adding not just locations themselves but much more detail, like the mountainous rocks you see. Thats just extra detail. I don't want to make it too strenuous that only people with computers can enjoy but I want to put in as much detail as possible before we hit that point. Basically, how many 3d objects are loaded in, and how many polygons those objects have. Obviously mountainous areas will have a big hit cause thats a lot of stuff to render but Daggerfall has very low poly rocks, so right now it's not so bad.

If it means anything, I can run all the new locations with K.O.W/Handpainted Models/SpeedTrees (With the terain set to 1 as SpeedTrees by VMBlast are very hardware demanding alone) and its still very much playable and runs about the same as i do without all the new locations. Distant Terrain mod is a no go. It runs like crap with new locations but then again I never was able to run that favorably even with no other mods installed. Tedious Travel will def chug your machine and i won't even need to test that to know. Even if it works fine for you, well, it's definitely gonna be tedious now with actual objects that will block your path.

Now, I would like to finish Betony, release it, and get feedback on it in how it preforms and runs on other people's machine. Only then I can get the definant answers.

tl:dr: Performance hit is minor and almost unoticable so far

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's good to know it's working well so far! It's looking great from the screenshots BTW.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I honestly just like posting screenshots. Now with Birds of Daggerfall 2.0

Spoiler!

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

You addeding models for specific locations by hand, right?

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Yes, thats correct.

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

I'd like to ask how you done that. I know you use mod that allow it, but well, I'am complete noob in unity, so absoluetly no idea what I should do to inject my model in some place around map.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Zadroter wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 pm I'd like to ask how you done that. I know you use mod that allow it, but well, I'am complete noob in unity, so absoluetly no idea what I should do to inject my model in some place around map.
I was planning to make a tutorial but I'm under the belief that Uncanny is working on a new version that will make the version I'm using obsolete so I'd wait for when the mod gets updated. No idea if that will be soon or not but I'd wait just in case.

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Okay, thanks for answer.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I've changed my approach on this project. I removed a lot of detail but not because of performance but an attempt to try and speed things up. It took all last month tog et barely 30% of Betony done but with this new "less is more" approach, I have over 70% of the island covered in just a week (And thats with updating VIO and Warm Ashes more tbh). I will test a few more things and if they work as I think they will, I can give more detail to Betony, while also giving the option for low end users. But more on that later. Have these lovely random screenshots. As you can tell, while less detailed, they still look great.

Spoiler!