guards keep chasing me

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Re: guards keep chasing me

Post by mikeprichard »

jayhova wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:59 pm [*]Indicate when resting is a crime by changing the color of the rest button to reddish

Quite frankly, IMHO, having buttons that bring to attention the crime of vagrancy should be in the primary game and on by default.
Rest in City.jpg
Rest in City.jpg (54.64 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Any traction for this idea? Would love to see this in base DFU as another QoL improvement.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

About the only time you would want to do this is if you needed to murder someone.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yep, I'll just wait for around for the guild to open... but damn, I accidentally set up a campground in the town square. Guess I have to murder 1000 guards now. HALT this, punks.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 am Any traction for this idea? Would love to see this in base DFU as another QoL improvement.
I don't mind the idea. I don't quite have those art assets in the base game, but I can tint the whole button when rest is illegal.

illegal-rest-tint.jpg
illegal-rest-tint.jpg (133.53 KiB) Viewed 2091 times

Alternatively can just add an outline hint, which is maybe more subtle than tinting out whole button.

illegal-rest-outline.jpg
illegal-rest-outline.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 2091 times

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Isn't this used elsewhere in the UI to indicate when something is disabled? Will people think this means warning it's illegal also?

I think a better idea is a mod that changes guard behavior for vagrancy. Instead of sending guards, let the player sleep for an hour, then 1 guard arrives and wakes you up and lets you go with a warning. Then you get a second warning, then you get arrested and charged the third time. This would solve the "no warning" problem while simultaneously adding some depth to the crime mechanics. Guards having leniency for smaller crimes would be neat, instead of always being mindless killing machines.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:10 am I don't mind the idea. I don't quite have those art assets in the base game, but I can tint the whole button when rest is illegal.
Alternatively can just add an outline hint, which is maybe more subtle than tinting out whole button.
Either one would be great! Anything more (like changing classic guard behavior) would likely be mod territory, but the tinting and/or outlining would be a very nice and intuitive base DFU addition. Thanks for considering these little ideas.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I'm gonna vote for number one. Maybe a bit more tint so it doesn't look pink. It might be a good idea to open this up for modding so mods could change the look, add tips, etc. Just a thought.

👍
Keep up the good work!
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've decided to handle this by reverting to and expanding upon Hazelnut's original warning message. There is a new setting available in settings.ini, which is enabled by default.

Code: Select all

IllegalRestWarning = True
When this setting is false, behaviour simply matches classic. When this option is true, player will receive the following prompt when attempting to rest in towns:
It is illegal to camp in or near a city. Continue?
YES NO
If player selects NO then it just returns to rest menu so they can select loiter. Disaster averted.

If player selects YES then rest will actually begin. You might even get in a few hours of actual vagrancy before you're roused by the presence of nearby city watch. This is different to classic behaviour that simply does not allow rest to continue.

This change makes the crime of vagrancy an intentional choice with both benefits and drawbacks. You can now sort-of sleep in towns, at least for a bit, before the inevitable outcome of the watch trying to arrest you for vagrancy.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Love it, especially how you took the opportunity to eliminate the instant spawning of the guard killbots the second you start to "rest" in a town (one of many aspects of classic Daggerfall crime gameplay that needed tweaking). DFU keeps getting better and better. :)

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Really like this decision. One of those things that's like, "I'd never make that mistake," yet I managed to do it yesterday when trying to loiter.
Geez, Daggerfall, is it really worth sending several fully armed guards after a guy for the heinous crime of nodding off for half a second? :lol: