A BIG thank you - you've made my dream come true

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
emmathepony

A BIG thank you - you've made my dream come true

Post by emmathepony »

Daggerfall is my favourite RPG and one of my favourite games of all time, 4th favourite in fact, and have put hundreds and hundreds of fun in it. However, as we all know, the game and its old engine is still prone to bugs, random glitches, crashes and generally doesn't have polish that we expect games to have nowadays. I first got into Elder Scrolls, the series, in 2007 with the PS3 GOTY release of Oblivion and back then it became my favourite game ever within just an hour, stepping out the sewers into the vibrant world the first (and few) time(s) is a moment I'll never forget. Obviously, I wanted to try out the other games, so in 2008/2009-ish I tried Morrowind but for put off by it at first as it seemed like a step back from Oblivion in terms of presentation and polish. I didn't get far and lost interest in the game and that's when I discovered the big modding scene Oblivion had on the Nexus and boy... I had spent 2008/2009 modding Oblivion to high Hell and back, putting hundreds of hours into the PC version (more than I did for PS3). With this mind and Skyrim being announced, I went back to Morrowind with a few mods and got further - yet not much further - the game just didn't click with me and I returned to Oblivion and then modded Fallout 3. A couple of years pass and Skyrim is just a few months away, my hype for Skyrim was off the charts so I decided to give Daggerfall a try... and oh boy... Daggerfall... the game that single-handedly got me into retro game collecting and still collect to this very day. Buying the big box PC version of Daggerfall back in 2010 off eBay was the first game of my streak of retro collecting. Anyway, I ended up loving the game and was incredibly overwhelmed with just how big the world was... but the music, the visuals/art style and open-ended nature of the game kept me going. However, like Morrowind, Daggerfall being dated technically, the bugs etc. made me lose interest as I knew Skyrim was just around the corner. I also had New Vegas to play so I put Daggerfall down.

A few years pass into 2013, played Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas to death with lots of mods... but I just felt a calling... despite how good these three games are, I realised I was enjoying them only because I had them modded. I decided to shoot up Daggerfall again and the rest was history, I became ADDICTED to the game. As I was playing it, I kept comparing it to Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV thinking "why isn't THIS in the new games?!" and then for the next couple of years or so, rotating lots of other games, I kept my retro collection going and got into the Realms of Arkania and Drakensang games (as well as a few other very old dungeon crawling series), but NOTHING could keep me away from Daggerfall... I'd go back to Skyrim and other RPGs of that time and just think: "My God... Daggerfall did all THIS and THAT, I'm just not enjoying Skyrim anymore...

It was then I had that dream... the dream that I was playing Daggerfall lag free, bug free, proper rendering and better graphics and I remembered it felt so so good... but then I woke up... and I felt bad...

Anyway, fast-forward to when DaggerXL got announced and I've been around since then. The premise of XL was amazing but the closed sourced nature of it put me off it and that's when I hears about Unity sometime after. I've been following Unity for years now, I've had the dfworkshop website bookmarked for years and I checked it almost daily. Again, fast-forward to about a couple of weeks ago, when I heard things were really picking up and seeing all the new mods, graphics, gameplay features, LP'ers having fun... it was my dream come true. So yeah, this project is no longer a dream but reality... next month when alpha 1.0 is out I will FINALLY get to play this for myself for the first ever time. I wanna get that Oblivion sewer feeling back when I leave Privateer's Hold with all these mods installed.

So a big THANK YOU to all amazing, talented, creative, hard-working developers, modders and community members who have made it possible for this project to come true. My favourite RPG is about to get a major facelift and with projects like OpenMW, Skywind etc. it's no better time to be an Elder Scrolls fan. Too bad Bethesda have turned a blind eye to their previous, superior work... I seriously, seriously cannot wait to return to the world of Illiac Bay, a living && breathing virtual world I hold close to me, under a new light that will permanently be my destination to go to.

Words can't describe how happy I am with this project, I wish donations were accepted... :o

Interkarma

Re: A BIG thank you - you've made my dream come true

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you emmathepony, it makes me happy to hear you're enjoying it. :)

Floppy N'Wah

Post by Floppy N'Wah »

Yes, you guys are all heros in my book. Without boring you with my problems thank you for everything. Every little escape into the TES2 life simulator is my fav time of the week.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Floppy N'Wah wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:09 pm Yes, you guys are all heros in my book. Without boring you with my problems thank you for everything. Every little escape into the TES2 life simulator is my fav time of the week.
Floppy IF you want to talk, send me a PM anytime ;)
And welcome to the DFU forums and community!

Emma, you summed it up nicely, we all share this feeling and nostalgia here and Im glad to be a part of this amazing project as well :)
Thanks for a nice post and thanks to all the devs and contributors!!