0.8.6 (win7 x64) - fast travel times refinement possible to closer match classic

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
King of Worms

0.8.6 (win7 x64) - fast travel times refinement possible to closer match classic

Post by King of Worms »

Ive just noticed this while traveling from Daggerfall city, that the travel times seem very off.

Here is the image illustrating it.

Basically, you change the distance by lets say 10% but you get three times the travel time. Why?
001.jpg
001.jpg (542.63 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

Also, traveling across the bay from lets say Daggerfall to Sentinel WITHOUT a boat should take much longer than cca 36 days, because u need to traverse whole landscape around the bay.

Look at the above screenshot, its a travel from Daggerfall to Wrothgarian mountains, it takes 29 to 90 days (quite a difference, thus the report)... but to get to Sentinel, you are ONLY in 1/2 of the journey if you DONT use boat. Yet to get to Senti, u need just 36 days...

So... when you look at the distances and days to travel them, there is something very off here in BOTH cases

Try clicking around the map, and on various places inside a one province and see for yourself...

pango

Re: 0.8.6 (win7 x64) - fast travel times are off

Post by pango »

Does it match classic Daggerfall estimates?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: 0.8.6 (win7 x64) - fast travel times are off

Post by Interkarma »

For me, classic calculated 27 days from Daggerfall > Moorhart Plantation under same config. Generally DFU will calculate roughly similar times to classic in most cases, but it's not difficult to find edge cases especially over large distances. DFU also accounts for terrain difficulty, I'm not sure classic does this.

For Daggerfall > Sentinel Classic calculates 8 days regardless of foot/horse or ship. I think the game assumes you're going over water regardless and doesn't route you all around the bay. In this case, DFU is probably a bit more accurate on travel time.

Something to keep in mind is that DFU uses an entirely different travel time calculator than classic. It's not like we have source code to refer to or anything. I consider it "good enough" for now, and this as more of a refinement/reverse engineering job than a straight bug. The current travel time calculator is just doing the best with the information available rather than being outright faulty.

I'll move this one into the developer forum to see if one of our reverse engineering gurus (Ferital, Allofich) feel like picking it up and refining to be closer to classic.

King of Worms

Re: 0.8.6 (win7 x64) - fast travel times refinement possible to closer match classic

Post by King of Worms »

The 29 vs 90 days example in the screenshot on roughly the same distance seems quite wrong to me.

Just wanted to rise attention to this. Maybe its not bug technically speaking, but its off a lot ;)

And yes, if classic calculates 27 and DFU 90 than classic is right and DFU is not IN THIS CASE.
Because the other location Hawking Orchard is 29. So 29 and 27 on similar distance seems right. That 90 days result is strange..