[wip] Reshade 4.3.0 Dagger U Preset

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: [wip] Reshade 4.3.0 Dagger U Preset

Post by King of Worms »

Glad to help!

About your problem you wrote about in the PM - that the start menu is not showing up anymore and you get into the game directly:

- you accidentally clicked a option in the menu to skip it

To roll that change back you need to find Settings.ini

Its here in Windows 7:
C:\Users\"YOUR USER NAME"\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity

Open it and change:

ShowOptionsAtStart = True

Its on "false" now.

Hope it helps ;)

KoW

Worghern

Post by Worghern »

Thank you very much again for your help Kow ! :)

Little update under the rain.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to discuss the topic of lighting effects that bother me in DFU. Classic of course has its own particular lighting style but there are a number of weird lighting effects that bother me and I have no idea if reshade or some other thing could be used to correct them.

Lights have the wrong color temperature. Lamps, torches and candles seem to generate a strong white light when in fact the color should be much more biased toward the lower end on the spectrum with candle flame being at about 1850K.

PC light sources tend to wash out near objects such as doors, monsters, etc. Blacks become greys etc. This is not something that happens even under full daylight. This tends to ruin the contrast of objects in the game.

The lighting adjustment in DFU proper seems to adjust all light sources and not just the ambient lighting. The change in lighting is obvious and happens right at dawn/sunset. I have even noticed this change inside inns when the day/night cycle happens.

IRL the ambient lighting on cloudy days increases even as the direct light from the sun decreases. This means that on partially cloudy days it is actually brighter overall than on clear days due to thew facts that white clouds reflect more light than a clear sky. Very overcast days in DFU are way too dark (as seen above). So dark in fact that you can clearly see light cast from lampposts during daylight hours (this never happens IRL).

Fog reflects the ambient light but also blocks light. The effect should be that dark objects on the horizon (mountains, etc.) are less dark during daylight hours due to the fog reflecting some of the ambient sunlight. However, the fog on the horizon would never be brighter than the ambient light. On dark overcast days however fog on the horizon can be seen as a white band when the horizon fog should be less bright than the sky. At night distant mountains become lighter in color instead of darker. Distance fog absorbs/blocks what little light comes from these objects and can only reflect the very little ambient light of the moons and stars.

The moons do not seem to emit light at all.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

jayhova wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:13 pm Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to discuss the topic of lighting effects that bother me in DFU. Classic of course has its own particular lighting style but there are a number of weird lighting effects that bother me and I have no idea if reshade or some other thing could be used to correct them.
Whilst your points are all valid and make sense, I'm not expecting master engineering work based on a 1996 unofficial remaster of a game done originally in a buggy engine, all for free. There are many AAA games that get lighting "wrong" too but what I think makes games stand out from others, on first sight, are its visuals.

Different aesthetics, graphic styles and artists visions can make lighting and other graphics purposefully unrealistic in order to create a certain type of atmosphere, take the red skies in the vanilla game for example. I don't really care if the lighting is unrealistic in DFU, moreso that the technicalities of the project have made it possible to make the original game look, feel and act better than the original.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Worghen, I played with the preset quite a bit.

For my gfx card (gtx970) its a bit too heavy, so Im creating a lite version with some effects off, plus I smoothened the sharpening and reworked the contrast a bit. But your config is very good! And it serves as a base for me. I think when Im done with it, Ill upload it as well somewhere, ofc mentioning its based on your config..

I like some dirt effects on the lights, ambient light.. it all adds a lot to the richness of the graphics, I just preffer toning few things down a bit ;)

Especially the reasonable amount of sharpening and FXAA to smooth out the manu tabs afterwards is very beneficial to the game!
Tone the colors a bit and damn... :D

All in all, great stuff!!!
Spoiler!
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (611.18 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

emmathepony wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 pm Whilst your points are all valid and make sense, I'm not expecting master engineering work based on a 1996 unofficial remaster of a game done originally in a buggy engine, all for free.
I agree but you will be surprised, everything is possible here and the looks of the game improve quite a lot during the time.

The 3d Models by Alexander sig add the softer yellow light to the light sources, there are just few of them which are not done and emit the LED like white light - bad. Im sure he will finish it up.

It seems Interkarma will also switch the game lightning to something a bit more advanced quite soon.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Fog is an interesting thing from a light perspective. Fog is composed of a mixture of dust and water particles suspended in the air. These particles are very small. If you think about the hundreds of billions of photons moving through the air, some of these will bounce off an object 50 miles away and head toward your eye. the further that photon travels the more likely it is that it will interact with one of these fog particles. If this happens that light never reaches your eye. But that is not the end of story. That same fog particle that redirected light from a distant object (let's say a mountain), also redirects light coming from elsewhere like from the sun. Some of that light may be directed at your eye. The result of all this interaction is that instead of seeing a clear, distinct image of a mountain, you instead see a greyish outline of a mountain. The fog acts as reflectivity for the air. The more air you look through, the more light the air reflects. It reflects the light coming from the things you are looking at and the ambient light of the environment.

So how do you model this correctly? To me this is a fascinating question. The simple answer seems to be that for every distance X you have, the fog reflect Y% of the total (ambient + direct) light while blocking an equal amount of light from objects along the line of site. Y will tend to vary with climate and weather conditions. The upshot of this is that at night mountains in the distance will be darker due to any light coming from them (which would be very little) being somewhat absorbed by the fog in the air and that air would not have much light ambient light itself to reflect. These dark mountains would be outlined by a sky filled with stars that are relatively bright in comparison to everything else.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Worghern

Post by Worghern »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am Worghen, I played with the preset quite a bit.

For my gfx card (gtx970) its a bit too heavy, so Im creating a lite version with some effects off, plus I smoothened the sharpening and reworked the contrast a bit. But your config is very good! And it serves as a base for me. I think when Im done with it, Ill upload it as well somewhere, ofc mentioning its based on your config..

I like some dirt effects on the lights, ambient light.. it all adds a lot to the richness of the graphics, I just preffer toning few things down a bit ;)

Especially the reasonable amount of sharpening and FXAA to smooth out the manu tabs afterwards is very beneficial to the game!
Tone the colors a bit and damn... :D

All in all, great stuff!!!
Spoiler!
0001.jpg

Yeah, as I mentioned it, it is all as you wish. My powerfull rig make the game run at 120 fps minimum, so I was very exited to enjoy DFU with Reshade, 4.3.0, you could imagine that ! :D Otherwise, I listened your suggest concerning Sharpen and, yes, you're right, I decreased the adaptive sharpen to 0.275 and it looks better far away.

Thank you very much for your support and your interest.

Farewell !

Worghern

Post by Worghern »

Update

off
on

off
on
Last edited by Worghern on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, very nice!
If I may suggest, update the opening post with the download link, so ppl can see it immediately
Thank you ;)