Speedrunning DFU

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Jay_H

Speedrunning DFU

Post by Jay_H »

As a fan of speedrunning, and possessing a computer that can now record, I'm getting curious for some Daggerfall Unity speedrunning. No doubt puri_puri will need some competition in the future :lol: Anyone interested in joining in as we get closer to 1.0? Being the first world record holder for DFU is within my reach and anyone else's right now :)

Interkarma

Re: Speedrunning DFU

Post by Interkarma »

This will be interesting! :)

UserOfThisSite

Post by UserOfThisSite »

Most speedruns are all about exploiting and abusing bugs, I remember watching Halflife speedruns, where people were using console and just flew through walls and it was ok. I watched puri_puri speedrun and it wasn't an exception, he used exploits with menu-jump and even teleport-to-exit cheat (not teleport spell, he used it separately). With cheating available his record of 50m59s is really REALLY slow.

I can just modify DFU and make it enable ending in the very beginning and get 0m 0s record. What? Cheating is available! Good luck beating it. You'll have to invent time machine and complete speedrun before you started it, because it's the only way to have negative time completion.
If I sound rude, please ignore it, that's how I communicate. I'm actually very non-emotional and thus the chances that I'm angry while posting are ~0%. I also use sarcasm very often.

pango

Post by pango »

If you exploit bugs, will you also create bug reports about them? :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

All speedruns have some limitations. The Classic Daggerfall community is actually extremely liberal about their rules, by allowing the cheat codes to be used in-game to jump around dungeons. I've never heard of any other community allowing players to use dev codes in speedruns. Since DFU has much more capability, there have to be some rules in place. A few examples:

1. No mods of any kind.
2. No use of console.
3. Filming must begin at the Bethesda loading screen to prevent use of dirty SRAM to gain advantages for a new character (at least until a few existing glitches are resolved that carry over data).
4. Anything that isn't prohibited by the rules is allowed.

I've started doing some routing in my head. I'm assuming the ebony dagger's going to be a big part of the standard build to get rid of the sentinel basement lich. After that, the biggest hurdle is getting high enough levels to complete the main quest, which I think requires level 8. I want to load a character up with spell absorption and immunity to magicka, but that level requirement's going to be really hard to overcome. They would use spell spam in classic to reach the required level... We'll have to see whether that is still viable, since it looks a lot better than training spam.

The puri_puri record I showed was "All Main Quests," which requires things like the Elysana and other quests that we wouldn't normally do. Current DF record is 20:01.
pango wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 am If you exploit bugs, will you also create bug reports about them? :D
There'll probably have to be new records with each version like with Minecraft due to the bugs that'll be fixed. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of documentation on glitches if they become relevant :D

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

This is gonna be an interesting can of worms. Tbh, I don't entirely see DFU becoming the default way to speedrun. While the original is obviously more prone to crashing, it also has a larger number of time saving glitches than DFU does. Honestly, I kinda see it that either the original engine remains the standard for DF speedrunning due to the glitches, or it'll end up where original engine and DFU become two separate categories, or even two separately tracked games, similar to Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, though.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

ACNAero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:50 pmHonestly, I kinda see it that either the original engine remains the standard for DF speedrunning due to the glitches, or it'll end up where original engine and DFU become two separate categories, or even two separately tracked games, similar to Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered.
Most definitely. There'll have to be two different categories, since there's no comparing the gameplay between the two. This is very common in any case, like the difference between Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD: you'd think it'd just be a difference of nicer graphics, but WW's world record is 3:48:17, whereas WWHD is 54:15. There is simply no comparison :D

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Well... I think I only have one more thing to say about this, then...

Daggerfall Unity by Jay-H at ESA when? :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

:lol: Thank you for the vote of confidence! Here's hoping this is one of the things that picks up steam as we come out of beta.

Baler

Post by Baler »

speed runners know their game(s) better than anyone. I think this is a great idea to help lock in the classic mechanics etc.