Suggestion for Release -- The Final Version

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
legion

Suggestion for Release -- The Final Version

Post by legion »

I hope the final release of Daggerfall Unity tastefully incorporates all kinds of mods and enhancements baked into the game.
I'd rather not spend any time going into the menu to switch certain features on/off, or selecting and installing mods. I just want to dive in and play the most polished version of Daggerfall the way it was originally meant to be had they time and resources to truly finish it.
One of the most irritating things about Oblivion and Skyrim was the sheer amount of mods that were supposed to make the games a lot better. With both TES IV and TES V I basically spent 5 hours downloading and installing mods and just trying to get everything to work. When I finally started the game, I lost interest a few hours in and never picked it up again. Felt kinda cheated that the core games were so weak that they needed tremendous modding work and tedium to become anything enjoyable.

So lets see a fully polished game that I can just play rather than an open-ended moddable workshop that's more about programming and less about actually playing.

Thanks!

mikeprichard

Re: Suggestion for Release -- The Final Version

Post by mikeprichard »

I understand where you're coming from, but Interkarma's vision for DFU is a moddable Daggerfall with minor UI/QoL enhancements (many of which have already been implemented) and strict bugfixes. Beyond that, different players are obviously going to have wildly different preferences as to the "correct" way to mod/polish things like graphics, sounds, gameplay, etc., making any attempt to do so in base DFU a fruitless endeavor.

That said, I can confirm from extensive player experience with all games that mod installation is much, much simpler in DFU than it is in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Try downloading a few .dfmod packages and sticking 'em in the correct folder, and I think you'll see what I mean.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Did you like the original skyrim before you added any mods? I dont know bout the others, but morrowind is just as simple to mod, you place stuff in the data folder and check the box in the morrowind launcher.

To be honest, I have never modded daggerfall, and I do not plan to. Though I have seen mods that interest me, like Jay_H's mod that adds more quests. Mods that add more content rather than change all the rules I think are fine.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I have no plans to bake mods into the core game. Mods are created by Daggerfall Unity's community members, just as they are created by the communities around Skyrim and Fallout.

At some point, mods should be on Nexus or elsewhere. But for now while the community is still small, mods are mostly still hosted on the forums.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

The only mods allowed to be baked in are a few QOL fixes. See definition here
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

But DFU is not like Skyrim, where to finish the S.T.E.P. mod guide it took me 2 full days and I installed 300 mods, utilized crazy programs to make it work and sometimes I had no idea of what Im doing (wrye bash) and just hoped for it to work.

Here u have like 10 essential mods which are compatible with each other.

In Dream mod, I tryed my best to include as much as possible in one mod. And Im quite proud I was able to get a permission of many ppl to include their work in it (just check the credits)

Ultimately, if u download Dream and the recomended mods u are set. I even included the mod config files with the latest version.

Base DFU will not have mods baked in and I 100% support this decission. Because different ppl have different tastes.

Maybe in future the mega mod pack will be created.
And Id support that...

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:50 pm
Base DFU will not have mods baked in and I 100% support this decision. Because different ppl have different tastes.

Maybe in future the mega mod pack will be created.
And Id support that...
Concur
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.