Click to attack or not to click to attack

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Click to attack or not to click to attack

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Re: Click to attack or not to click to attack

Post by mikeprichard »

I like it BECAUSE it takes away some of how classic Daggerfall felt. ;) Just that bit, anyway.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

It was awkward for me too, switching from classic, but now im used to it and I like it better. I mainly checked the box because of the mouselocking which was annoying.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Once you get used to it im sure you will prefer it. I know I did. And I hated it at first. As for the enemies moving around, im not sure if that improves the combat or makes it harder. It makes it seem like i cant hit something though even when its in my face, like bats. I might turn it off later if it gets too annoying.

One thing ive noticed, it seems like skeletons are much harder to hit using anything but the ebony dagger, even when your skill is low with short blades. My current game I have longblades over 40%, but when I face a skeleton all I get is whiff whiff tink tink for an hour til I finally decide to switch to the ebony dagger and then its chunk chunk fight over. Might be a bug, I dunno.

Oh, and if you were fond of the crit weakness exploit, they fixed that here. I found out hard way.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I dont think you can hit daedra and some other creatures even with dwarven weapons. Best to keep that dagger til you find another ebony weapon or better.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoobioDF

Post by NoobioDF »

@ Ommamar

Here is my concern with the click to attack option. When you use the mouse swing, you pick which of basically three swings you will do. A slash across, a chop downwards, and a thrust forward.

The thrust forward produces the least damage, but it has the highest chance to hit.
The chop downwards produces the most damage, but it has the lowest chance to hit.
The slash across produces average damage, but has an average chance to hit.

Now, with click to attack, I think you only always do slashes, so average damage, average chance to hit.

The importance of having the thrust attack, when you start off in the early game, is quite important and thematic. You actually can combine moving back and forth, with the mouse moved upwards, to do this thrust, and your chance to hit will be higher than a slash, and the click to attack SEEMS (NOTE SEEMS) to only do thrusts.

So using a lower skill for attacking, say in Long Blades, can be partly mitigated by using thrusts to increase your chance to hit, if even with lower damage. You might not hit anything otherwise. This also can be used to help hit with lower melee skills, and thus increase you chance to level them up in the field.

Now, I am not exactly sure what happens in DFU when you use the click to attack option. Maybe it just randomly simulates any attack, but it seems it just does slashes, and I think that was the actuality in Daggerfall Classic as well.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

you can still control the type of attack, its just a little harder. If you sit still and dont move while attacking it appears to be a random type.