Why No Classic Spell Durations? [Solved]

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Teralitha

Why No Classic Spell Durations? [Solved]

Post by Teralitha »

Cant rest when levitating. Cant loiter either. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but its a pain when trying to practice thaumaturgy with levitate.

Sorry for my confusion about spell durations.
Last edited by Teralitha on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: Why No Classic Spell Durations?

Post by Interkarma »

Spell durations match classic. The timing in done in magic rounds - not seconds. Each magic round lasts for 1 ingame minute, which is 5 seconds of real time. The exception is the very first round, as magic rounds are aligned to game minutes, so it's possible for the first round to last < 5 seconds.

If you'd like a spell of shorter duration, just create one at the spellmaker to last a shorter number of rounds. By increasing the ratio per level, you can make a cheap practice spell that always lasts < 5 seconds.

You cannot rest while levitating, this matches classic. Just make a shorter duration practice spell, or practice with a different Thaumatugy effect.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Looks like ill have to make a video to show you what im talking about. Gonna take awhile, I have to start a new character.
Last edited by Teralitha on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The information I provided regarding spell duration and magic rounds is correct. If you post a screenshot of your spell configuration and tell me your character level, I'd be happy to calculate the expected duration of that spell.

Also, if you continue to engage with me in an impolite and abrasive manner, then you will lose access to my time. I will simply not respond to your queries. The same goes for other community members. Please change your approach and adopt a more polite tone while you participate in this community.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Sure. Levitate. 1 + 2 per 3 lvl. Character level 6. So... 5 rounds. or 25 seconds real time, per what you posted. ( or 20-25)

I will make a video showing you just how long levitate is actually lasting in unity, vs classic. I think you will be surprised. But, I'll have to make the video tomorrow, its late here, and I need to build a character up in classic first.
Last edited by Teralitha on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, very good.

For background's sake, we've tested spell durations since at least mid-2016 (my experiments, at least). As you can imagine, it's not a hard experiment to replicate in classic:
Jay_H wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:30 pm Spell rounds: How long does a round last, in seconds? A round lasts for about 5 seconds. A spell effect seems to begin blinking when two rounds, or <10 seconds, are remaining. Recurring spell effects such as Regeneration and Continuous Damage occur at the start of each round. Rounds are always ticking in the background, and the first round of a spell will use the current, expiring round; this means a spell with duration 1 could last 0.01 seconds, if cast at the very end of the round. My methodology was creating one spell (Detect Enemy) with a duration of 1+1 every 20; creating a Camouflage spell with a duration of 2+1 every 20; and a Comprehend Languages spell with a duration of 3+1 every 20, and seeing how quickly they would tick off. As each one ticked on and off, I could time the rounds. Rounds last 5 seconds under Very Slow reflexes as well.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. With 1 + 2 per 3 levels at level 6, it will indeed be 5 rounds. At 5 seconds per magic round and variable on the first round, then the time will be between 20-25 seconds for each cast of the spell.

Incumbent spells like levitate stack their duration (i.e. the second cast tops up duration of currently active spell). If you cast the spell twice in quick succession, it will last twice the amount of time. If you cast the spell 4 times in a row, it will last 4 times as long. That's likely where the discrepancy in your timing is coming from.

Levitate probably isn't the best spell to train Thaumaturgy with. I'd create a water walking spell as it's easy to spam and rest off again.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Didnt take as long as I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TFieMb ... e=youtu.be

Yes true, actually I should make some spells that do combos for maximum gain.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's exactly how DFU works.

Cast the levitate spell, look down at the floor, and walk toward it. Then try to rest. I just did it.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:42 am You cannot rest while levitating, this matches classic.
This matches my experience. I was not able to rest while levitating in DFU. And I did try to float down to the floor. But, ill try it again.
Last edited by Teralitha on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.