Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
alphaTECH

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by alphaTECH »

Have all of these quests been thoroughly tested? Is this a final release?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Bug reports are relatively few among them. I've tried to fix what comes up, and I don't know of any glaring defects still in play. They are likely quite unbalanced, and I'm happy for feedback regarding that.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Cool, thanks for the info :) Nice work coding all of these too! Should add considerable longevity to the game.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

What is in the quarantine folder ? I WANT IT !
And what does the Json file do ? DO I GET RAY TRACING ?
Inquiring minds want to know....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sorry Midknightprince, this quest pack is in a coma for awhile :lol: I have to fix the classic quests first, and then see some other stuff we're brewing here on the forums. I likely won't be coming back to this for quite awhile.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Hello Jay_H.

I've started playing with the Thieves Guild quests.

I only got the one about kidnapping a child so far, and twice in a row, but I liked it. In fact, while trying it, I was wondering : "Didn't I play this quest in Classic ?". The writing is the same as in Classic's TG's quests. :)

Twice there wasn't anyone to protect the victim so I must have been lucky. I think it'd be interesting to spawn an hostile an NPC 2 days or more after kidnapping that would try to rescue the child. And, if it's possible, to make it so you can't walk around town with a gagged person in your backpack without attracting attention. It would force your character to keep away from towns until he gets to the location for the ransom. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There are a couple design decisions I made with that one:

A knight will spawn inside the residence, but only after a timer of 6 to 14 rounds has passed if you're still inside. Some players are slow and won't find the child quickly, attracting the attention of the guard. Others will be swift enough to capture him/her and escape, evading attention. I'll lower that timer a bit.

I didn't want to send foes after the player since that sort of suggests sloppy work on your part. I mean, it's not a very good ransom plot if you lead the townspeople straight to the place, right? :D There's a supposition that you're good at your job and cover your tracks, and that the kid isn't so valuable as to merit a special tracking system or anything. These are the kind of children belonging to shopkeepers and merchants who beg you to go rescue them in commoner quests.

This is my thinking, but I always listen to feedback :)

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

That makes a lot of sense then. I totally agree with that. If the thief takes more than the time limit to complete his delivery, he's not good at his stuff.

As for the timer before a knight arrives, in my two cases my target was in a tiny house with 2-3 rooms. So I was in and out in less than 10 seconds. Since there was a message saying nobody was around when I got in, I figured there might be a chance for a hostile NPC to be there as soon as I arrive.

I like how this quest is the opposite of the one you get from merchants, like you mentioned. How ironic it would be to be able to get the quest to rescue the person you just kidnapped. ;)

I'll try more Thieves' Guild quests tonight.

d999

Post by d999 »

Quest JHMG009
I cannot find person (client) to deliver some packet.
When I try to ask different people there is no the line about the client.
Is it intended?
And I have to find client other way?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Have you waited out the period?
Questgiver of the
Mages Guild has tasked me with
protecting a manuscript that needs
to get to The Residence after Number
days.
The key word is "after." The person won't be there before that.