Quality Of Life Upgrade Request

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Re: Quality Of Life Upgrade Request

Post by jayhova »

As it happens I like to be able to by default attempt to unlock every door in a dungeon.

I would be in favor of an optional settings mod that would collect together all of these one off ideas and allow people to turn them on and off. Unless there is a large (just about unanimous) consensus that a thing should be changed. e.g. allowing the wagon to be automatically accessed when in sight of the dungeon exit, a warning that sleeping in a particular place will be a crime, etc. it should be changed in a mod.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

As long as it's optional (like many other things already in base DFU settings), and the devs themselves are able and willing to implement the option, I see no reason why a feature needs to have "unanimous" support. With that standard, no features would be added. For example, the wagon prompt topic wasn't exactly without controversy, you might recall.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

As it happens this is how it seems to work for the most part. By overwhelming popular demand. As far as I can tell this is how these things go.
  • Baked in non-optional
    bug fixes and exploits in the original game
  • Baked in optional
    QOL fixes that are overwhelmingly approved of and do not change how the game is played / 'Interkarma specials' like enhanced climbing which is essentially a baked in mod
  • Mods
    everything else

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

jayhova wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 am As it happens I like to be able to by default attempt to unlock every door in a dungeon.

I would be in favor of an optional settings mod that would collect together all of these one off ideas and allow people to turn them on and off. Unless there is a large (just about unanimous) consensus that a thing should be changed. e.g. allowing the wagon to be automatically accessed when in sight of the dungeon exit, a warning that sleeping in a particular place will be a crime, etc. it should be changed in a mod.
How many locked doors does one come across throughout a dungeon though? And at what frequency? I generally make the one attempt to pick lock which usually fails since my current character isnt a rogue type and just bash the door open. I still want to try raising the skill though from use. A checkbox toggle would benefit my playstyle. But as I said, it wont ruin the game for me if there is not such checkbox. I would prefer it, but I can live without it. Its a minor change though.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

jayhova wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 am 'Interkarma specials' like enhanced climbing which is essentially a baked in mod
Fortunately, there's a fair number of these great features from the devs, which again don't require overwhelming clear support from the community. But I've taken this topic wayyyy off course now.

pango

Post by pango »

Just for completeness, there's a maintenance cost associated with options: it increases the number of gameplay combinations to think about, test, debug...

When they're added by a mod, it becomes modder responsibility to take care of mod options bugs and compatibility issues, but you always have to think twice before adding something as a baked-in option.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:23 am Just for completeness, there's a maintenance cost associated with options: it increases the number of gameplay combinations to think about, test, debug...

When they're added by a mod, it becomes modder responsibility to take care of mod options bugs and compatibility issues, but you always have to think twice before adding something as a baked-in option.
Yes, Every time a feature is added it increases the complexity of the game. There are non-baked-in mods that Interkarma has done Enhanced Sky is at least one I know of.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Enhanced Sky isn't one of my mods. It was created by Lypyl and now maintained by Nystul. I just started the new topic on Released Mods forums prior to Nystul taking over ownership of code.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

My bad.

Interkarma does not do mods.

What idiot would suggest he would? ;)