Qol Suggestion - Cured Message

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jaiysaun

Qol Suggestion - Cured Message

Post by Jaiysaun »

When you cast a spell on yourself you get a message if the spell failed but not when it succeeds. I think a message about the effect being successful would really help out for the cure effects for poison and disease.
What I suggest is something like "Poison Cured" displayed in the same way as "Spell Effect Failed". I know it doesn't matter because you can check manually, though.
I don't feel too strongly about this, the absence of a message is a message itself but it's easily missed if you spam the spell too fast, just figured it wouldn't hurt to suggest it.

Teralitha

Re: Qol Suggestion - Cured Message

Post by Teralitha »

What about a disease and poison icon to indicated you have something. We get icons for other negative effects, why not these too.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

What about a disease and poison icon to indicated you have something. We get icons for other negative effects, why not these too.
Classic handles disease and poison indication with the "You feel somewhat bad" thing that appears on the top of the screen. The type of disease then appears in the status menu ("i" key). AFAIK, poison lacks that same status identifier.

EDIT: Actually, I think "You have been poisoned" does exist. Pretty sure I was wrong on that one.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:30 am What about a disease and poison icon to indicated you have something. We get icons for other negative effects, why not these too.
I've been hoping to see something like this on the HUD for a while (I requested it in my UI/Controls enhancements topic). Messaging for disease/poison status isn't the greatest in classic.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Most modern rpgs change the health bar color from red to green to indicate poison. I've seen this in all 3 Diablos, Ultima Online, and Divinity OS for example. This would require changing the hue of the stamina bar to yellow. But I think it's the best solution as it doesn't require adding graphics, just adjusting hues.

You could just build this into the option that swaps the bar colors. But if it were me, I wouldn't even bother wasting an option slot on it. Stamina being red like blood... the total lack of a poison indicator... show me anyone who wants this and why. It's just like the crappy map search and dismount stuff, and we don't waste option slots on those.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:54 am You could just build this into the option that swaps the bar colors.
This, please! Nice solution. The HUD icons can get pretty cluttered as it is anyway, but showing poison/disease status directly on the health bar (by turning the health bar from red or yellow to green in either/both cases) would be very intuitive. The only caution I would have, which I suppose already applies to the bar colors to some degree, would be to ensure the green is much darker than the yellow already used by the health bar (by default) or the fatigue bar (when the "swap health and fatigue" option is on) - especially important for color-blind players like yours truly.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

What if you dont use the color switch option? I dont use it.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:39 pm What if you dont use the color switch option? I dont use it.
Either way it wouldn't be a problem - without the color switch, health is yellow, and with it, health is red; banshee's suggestion would be to turn the bar green (currently unused) in case of disease and/or poison.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Hm, my health bar is green though. No mods.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:56 pm Hm, my health bar is green though. No mods.
EDIT: As I'm color-blind, I'm already seeing the default green as yellow. This would explain banshee's related suggestion to change that default color to yellow, allowing the poison/disease indicator to then be green as stated above. To summarize what I think is going on and what the related suggestion is:

1) Change the default health/fatigue/magicka colors from green/red/blue (without swap option) or red/green/blue (with swap option) to yellow/red/blue (without swap) or red/yellow/blue (with swap).

2) Then, if the player is diseased and/or poisoned, change the health bar from yellow or red to green.
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.