Daggerfall Character Creation Guide Video

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Teralitha

Daggerfall Character Creation Guide Video

Post by Teralitha »

I created a new video guide for making characters in daggerfall. Its for classic daggerfall, but can also apply to the unity version, and also discusses some features and differences of the Unity version.

I already had a video for this, but It needed a major update to correct some inaccuracies and new add new information. Ive learned quite a few new things about the game since my first video and from playing unity. Its lengthy, but very informative.

EDIT: Took video down to do a remake.
Last edited by Teralitha on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Character Creation Guide Video

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for sharing! :)

To use the youtube embed, you need to use the share link provided from the Share drop-down (rather than copy paste URL). It looks like below:

Code: Select all

[youtube]https://youtu.be/g_ccC67_x9U[/youtube]
I quickly edited original post so it embeds video properly for you.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Only watched a little over an hour, not a bad guide but you should really break it up. Maybe 10-15 minutes on skills and why you took the ones you did. Another 10-15 minutes on how the advantage/disadvantage system works and how you can exploit things in classic Daggerfall. Then another section on reputation and stat manipulation, with the next section on the basic movement and view stuff. As it is you started sounding like the teacher in the Peanut's cartoon and lost my interest. You have good theories I would never build the way you did but if it works for you that is cool.

One thing I didn't see you talk about was how some stats are for a pool usage and some effect the skills effectiveness. For instance intelligence is how much magic you have but wisdom is your effectiveness with the magic spell. This lends itself to different strategies as you can have a high willpower build that will be very effective with the magic but won't have as many spell points or need as many as a high intelligence build.

Melee is interesting because endurance effects the base amount on how many hit points you will gain per level as well as the stamina. But it isn't as simple as saying if you melee just go strength as some weapons (Long Blade) use agility to dictate not only the chance to hit but how much base damage they will do. For instance a Long Sword that has a rating of 10-24 with a high agility will have a better chance to get a higher damage hit then one with a lower agility. But other weapons such as Axe and Mace are dictated by strength on how much damage they will do but still effected by agility on the hit chance. This is why a lot of people who build for min/max almost always go with Long blade as not only is there a wider selection it is easier to double dip by focusing only on agility stat. Although the ability to carry more is always a plus so they usually put some into strength.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

More things I didnt know. The video ended up way longer than I anticipated for sure. But thats the trouble with a daggerfall guide too, there is so much material to cover, its hard not to make a long video. Ill probably remake it again trying to cut down on the dead air time.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I am curious now though, how would you build your character

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

You lost me when you took "Nymph" as a major to qualify for Dibella when you already had two primaries that qualified you. And you also didn't say why instant access to Dibella was worth influencing your build.

But at least you didn't take dodging as a major like me. Apparently, everyone who took dodging in classic is a masochist.

I often wonder how many new players get tripped up by the number of language skills and assume they're important. So much rope. They fixed that in Morrowind at least.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

See, I dont know what all the requirements are for joining the different temples, I just know that nymph is one of them for dibella. Call it nostalgia I guess. It was the first temple I ever went into/joined and I was mezmerised by the half naked npc models as a young lad. I did say it was my own choice though, all of the skills etc were my own choice and people can make their own choices.

I did take dodge as a major, this time. I wanted to replace crit strike with something. I used to always take that because I thuoght it did extra damage. Anyway, it looks like I need to do some studying before I try to remake the video.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 pm This may help: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Temples
I looked at it. It doesnt exactly say what you need in order to join a temple though. Actually nevermind, it does, sort of tell you what you need. Not very clearly though.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Teralitha wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 am I am curious now though, how would you build your character
Well I have built in many different ways. I will say that I never lower stats to boost others I just focus on the ones that would be important for the build. As an example if I am going to use a heavy magic build then both intelligence and wisdom are priorities. For a melee I would go with endurance then strength or agility depending on what the primary weapon is going to be. For an assassin type character it would be speed, agility and either luck or personality. Mainly I focus on the attribute that would effect the most skills I have taken. In general I don't take the languages in less it is some lark build like a archeologist or scholar but really never get very far with them.

As far as faction I let them build naturally based on who I interact with and never touch them during creation. I did find it interesting you lowered underworld but took several skills I only would take on a thief type character that would have a relationship with the underground.

I agree there is a lot to cover with Daggerfall's system both classic and unity which is why I recommend just focusing on one part in a multipart guide.