The notebook

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
alphaTECH

The notebook

Post by alphaTECH »

No, not that awful movie. The feature cut from Daggerfall that still has an assignable control to open. I always really liked the idea of a notebook to scribble stuff down in, especially since the game's logging features are scant at best. I have an A4 pad next to my PC with about five pages full of notes from an old save file, everything from potion recipes to quality grades and ranks to bank balances in different regions to "secret" dungeons, but to keep it all in the save file in an easy-to-navigate simple text format with tabs and shit would preserve the immersion far better. I know I can alt-tab to Notepad++ but that kills immersion even quicker than pen and paper.

Is there any plans to bring back the notebook in DFUnity?

I'm also curious as to whether a completion/statistics log has been discussed, ala modern Elder Scrolls and Grand Theft Auto.
Last edited by alphaTECH on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: The notebook

Post by pango »

Helegad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am The feature cut from Daggerfall that still has an assignable control to open, but does nothing.
It does work in Daggerfall Unity though.

It automatically records some events like maps found, weapons and armor left for repair; And also copies of the dialog answers you chose to record.
You can already add plain text entries; But it doesn't work as a fully fledged text editor.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

pango wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:20 am
Helegad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am The feature cut from Daggerfall that still has an assignable control to open, but does nothing.
It does work in Daggerfall Unity though.

It automatically records some events like maps found, weapons and armor left for repair; And also copies of the dialog answers you chose to record.
You can already add plain text entries; But it doesn't work as a fully fledged text editor.
Didn't know that you could add your own entries. That's cool :)

I'm thinking more of that fully-fledged editor you mentioned though. For notes that will take up more than a single line and don't need a date and time:

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Helegad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 amI'm thinking more of that fully-fledged editor you mentioned though.
Most of what you mentioned is easier to just autolog. Bank account balances should autolog to an undroppable 0kg ledger (they already are via Pango, it's just hidden in the old ui so no one sees it). Recipes should autolog to an undroppable 0kg recipe book, thus saving 36 slots (there are 37 recipes) and making them way easier to reference without altering classic encumbrance.

I don't have a perfect solution for distant shop grades, but they could at least be added to the current city's automap onhover tips.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Helegad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am No, not that awful movie. The feature cut from Daggerfall that still has an assignable control to open. I always really liked the idea of a notebook to scribble stuff down in, especially since the game's logging features are scant at best. I have an A4 pad next to my PC with about five pages full of notes from an old save file, everything from potion recipes to quality grades and ranks to bank balances in different regions to "secret" dungeons, but to keep it all in the save file in an easy-to-navigate simple text format with tabs and shit would preserve the immersion far better. I know I can alt-tab to Notepad++ but that kills immersion even quicker than pen and paper.

Is there any plans to bring back the notebook in DFUnity?
Yes, I implemented an enhanced notebook for DFU quite some time ago now. Is it not working for you?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 amYes, I implemented an enhanced notebook for DFU quite some time ago now. Is it not working for you?
He doesn't realize that you add an entry by clicking on "notebook" after hitting "n". This doesn't work like any notebook anyone is used to. There's no blinking cursor in the field of entry. It would be like opening notepad and clicking on the title bar in order to type.