Possible Bug With Spell Progression.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Teralitha

Possible Bug With Spell Progression.

Post by Teralitha »

SO, ive made a spell that is both alteration and thaumaturgy. Both skills were at about the same level when I started casting the spell for practice. One was 23, other was 22. After much practice, I checked them and alteration was at 70% and thaumturgy was 51%. They have both had the same number of castings. Shouldnt they be on par? I cant think of a reason why they wouldnt be at the same level. It seems that alteration increases at the same rate at any level, never slows down.

Interkarma

Re: Possible Bug With Spell Progression.

Post by Interkarma »

The most likely cause is that not all skills require the same number of tallies to increase. For example, Medical has a 12x tally multiplier and Mercantile has a 1x multiplier. This means Medical requires 12x the number of tallies to increase 1 point than Medical does.

In this case Alteration has a 1x multiplier and Thaumaturgy has a 2x multiplier. This means Alteration will increase twice as quickly as Thaumaturgy, which generally matches your outcome.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I see, I thought all spell schools were the same. But, still, why are the spell schools different in learn rates... You dont have to answer that... lol. Just the way it is then.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't know sorry, the formulas and multipliers come out of classic. :) It's probably a game-balance thing the original creators thought was appropriate based on the utility and frequency of each skill type.

Edit: For anyone interested, all the advancement multipliers are enumerated here. I actually forgot this was happening and had to check the code to refresh my memory.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Something else must be effecting things. I made a spell last night that had drain luck effect and a paralyze effect, alteration is a major skill while destruction is a miscellaneous skill. Alterarion started at 32% and ended at 35% while destruction was at 8% and ended at 20%. There where quite a few times when destruction went up but alteration didn't after a rest period. I know that there is a 6 hour game time period before you see the skill raise but I would think that after a few rest periods they would of been set on the same schedule to be checked. This was done in an tavern where I rented a room where I could cast until out of magic then rest.

Another thing I am wondering about in the public static DFCareer.Stats GetPrimaryStat(DFCareer.Skills skill) block it has the different attribute modifiers listed for the skills. Does that attribute make them more effective or just effects how often they will raise a skill.

For instance it has been the theory that for a long blade wielder both strength (puts you at the higher level of the damage range on a weapon) and agility (gives you a combat bonus every ten levels increasing you ability to hit) are important. But the code only mentions agility, which matches what modifier is given in the skill information screen. So people just say that helps increase the skill faster doesn't give you any more damage possibility.

Another thing that code brings up in my mind is it says intelligence effects the language skills so would it be better to fortify intelligence or use the comprehend language spell. To me it seems one would increase the skill raise while the other would improve the effectiveness of the current skill level, still not sure on how comprehend language works though.