Exploration off the edge of the world map in original Daggerfall

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Zen837

Exploration off the edge of the world map in original Daggerfall

Post by Zen837 »

Hi,

I posted this on reddit and someone suggested this would be a better place to get answers on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Daggerfall/com ... orld_map/

I remembered recently that probably 15-20 years ago I managed to get out of the world map by leaving a heavy thing on the move key overnight until I got to the invisible wall at the bottom right, then moving slanted until I got through the wall. I remember seeing what looked to me like a building right before the game crashed.
I decided to try to repeat this last night and got results fairly easily. Here is the location on the map.
Daggerfall map position.png
Daggerfall map position.png (857.43 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
What follows are the pictures of what younger me thought was a building although now I am not sure. It does seem to have corners.
Daggerfall Bottom Right of Map 01.png
Daggerfall Bottom Right of Map 01.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4098 times
Daggerfall Bottom Right of Map 02.png
Daggerfall Bottom Right of Map 02.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4098 times

It goes out of view when you look down. Walking closer crashes with error 203.

Does anyone think this could actually be a building or just a graphical glitch? As far as I can see it may be infinitely tall. The corners seem strange if it were just a glitch.

Thought this was interesting and wanted to share it. I think I may have sent it to the Essential Site after it became inactive a long time ago. Which in hind sight was pretty pointless.
Would love to hear from anyone with more knowledge of how the daggerfall world works.

I can send the save files on if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the work you are doing to keep Daggerfall alive.

Edit : after further investigation by using max view distance with a hex editor it does look like it is just a graphical glitch( see Reddit thread). Hopefully someone found this interesting anyway :)

Interkarma

Re: Exploration off the edge of the world map in original Daggerfall

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

That is definitely a terrain spike, possibly from an error in height map calculation near edge of the world. It looks awesome though, especially with the atmospheric fogging. It makes me think of the monoliths in 2001 A Space Odyssey.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

The mystical cathedral, unreachable place... if u get there and click it, world will never be the same in RL.

I like it, must have been so mysterious back than

Zen837

Post by Zen837 »

Thanks for the welcome

It does look pretty cool, made quite an impression to still be in my head so many years later.

:)

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

That is no glitch. Its Thulsa Dooms mountain of power. The problem is a crash when you try to go there. Maybe someone here can fix it. Rumor is that there is a kidnapped princess who is under thulsa dooms spell. if you manage to defeat him and bring the princess back home to her father, you will be given a choice of her hand in marriage, or your own mansion along with a large gold reward. There is supposed to be an npc in the mansion that starts another hidden quest line that leads to finding this awesome suit of magical armor. If you marry the princess, you get a different hidden quest line leading to find a powerful 2 handed sword.