Qol Suggestion - Cured Message

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mikeprichard

Re: Qol Suggestion - Cured Message

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm
Teralitha wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 pm Hm, well one is about icons to indicate you are poisoned/diseased, the other is for an indication of having been cured. They are different, but related. So long as we get a solution for both.
Icons are currently used to indicate magical buffs/debuffs, of which there are many. I've seen characters with like 8 of these icons on their screen at all times from all the enchanted equipment they're wearing. If the goal is to make it obvious the moment you're poisoned during battle, throwing more icons on the screen doesn't seem like a great plan.
Agree that an ideal solution to both issues would be to change the color of the health bar, as banshee suggested above.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Im not advocating for more icons. I would prefer just a simple text message saying "you have been poisoned" "Youve contracted a disease." Its not that big a deal to me really. While im playing I do see messages saying "you feed bad" but I think that may only be for poisons. Diseases kinda sneak up on you so if there is no message for those its fine.

My main concern is a message to tell you that "you are not poisoned" or "you are healthy" when you attempt to use a spell to cure poison/disease and also prevents you from casting it again. It would be a stop gap similar to trying to cast a touch spell with no target. Its just a QOL change request like many of the other QOL changes made to the game already. It wont be the end of the world to me if it doesnt happen. But I dont see any reason why not though.
Last edited by Teralitha on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think the subtle contraction of disease/poison is on purpose. In real life when you catch a disease, you won't know about it since there's an incubation period when the disease spreads around your body. The same would be true of poison, though the effect is much quicker.

Magic tends to be flashy and obvious, but natural diseases are silent and deadly.

Interkarma described the process here: https://www.dfworkshop.net/get-ready-for-diseases/

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

So you do already get a message if you have a disease also. Alright then, back to the topic.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

The fundamental issue seems to remain the method of in-game feedback as to current disease/poison status (i.e. when you know you've contracted a disease/poison, and when you know you've been cured). As I'd suggested some time ago in my other UI/controls topic, if there's resistance to changing the health bar color or other HUD elements, assuming it's technically possible, one at least partial improvement would be to move the health/disease "status" info to the first "status" pop-up and eliminate the need to click through to the second "status" pop-up just for that info. The current classic implementation of that second pop-up is neither challenging nor immersive/realistic, as the UI can still always be brought up to see your health status; having to go to the second pop-up merely adds another pointless click. As seen in many QoL improvements already made to base DFU, making these tedious UI elements more efficient is always a plus.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Teralitha wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:20 pm Im not advocating for more icons. I would prefer just a simple text message saying "you have been poisoned" "Youve contracted a disease."
That's already classic's solution for everything. So if you're being dumped on by enemy spellcasters, all these messages just come at you like machine gun fire and it doesn't work. In real-time combat, everything that can be turned into a visual cue should be. Enemy sprites should flash a color based on elemental spell damage taken sort of like here. Area around caster and area at range should radiate something visibly so that you can actually get a sense of its hit radius. Spells should probably fizzle audibly when they fail.

If we could go back in time, we'd also tell the original devs to get rid of "by touch" spells on 2d sprites. When offensive spells are projectiles, it gives clear visual indication of hit and reflection. There is no wondering whether you failed because you weren't close enough.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Touch spells dont even cast if you are not close enough. Thats your indicator.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Teralitha wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 pmTouch spells dont even cast if you are not close enough. Thats your indicator.
Bro, DFU is different. In classic, if you cast a touch spell, you cannot cast it on townsfolk or guards, because, you know, clicking people talks to them. So their mechanic was problematic.

DFU allowing you to cast on anything even it misses is fine with me, it's cool to test things out and allow for future possibilites like set things on fire. But the crosshair could do a green/red thing to indicate range/not-in-range. This is why I said what that if everything was just a projectile, you wouldn't have to worry about this.

In my opinion, AoE should not have been a casting type. Daggerfall could've simply had two casting types: "on self" and "projectile". Then things like "Spread on Impact" (magnitude = spread) and "Heat-Seeking" (magnitude = strength) and "Piercing" (magnitude = enemies it can go through) could appear as effects for projectiles. Half as complicated, more interesting combinations, yeah...

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Well im not sure about DFU touch spells, but in classic you could not cast a touch spell period without a target.