Lockpicking without lockpicks?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Firebrand

Lockpicking without lockpicks?

Post by Firebrand »

I don't like Daggerfall lockpicking mechanics: just one try per door, until you improve the skill. Then another single attempt :?
I really enjoy lockpicking in Skyrim (and to a lesser degree in Oblivion), so I loved being a thief and do the Thieves Guild storyline.

Wouldn't be more interesting if in Daggerfall will also be lockpicks, and if you fail the attempt, you just broke a lockpick?

I'm sure that some people here like lockpicks mini games (I do :lol: ), some other don't, but introducing lockpicks doesn't necessary mean you have to introduce the mini game. It could be optional, like in Oblivion, where you have auto attempt based just on your Lockpicking skill ;)

What do you think? :geek:

Kamer

Re: Lockpicking without lockpicks?

Post by Kamer »

Firebrand wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:24 pm I don't like Daggerfall lockpicking mechanics: just one try per door, until you improve the skill. Then another single attempt :?
I really enjoy lockpicking in Skyrim (and to a lesser degree in Oblivion), so I loved being a thief and do the Thieves Guild storyline.

Wouldn't be more interesting if in Daggerfall will also be lockpicks, and if you fail the attempt, you just broke a lockpick?

I'm sure that some people here like lockpicks mini games (I do :lol: ), some other don't, but introducing lockpicks doesn't necessary mean you have to introduce the mini game. It could be optional, like in Oblivion, where you have auto attempt based just on your Lockpicking skill ;)

What do you think? :geek:
Yea this keeps me from being a thief a lot of times. Having lockpicks would be great. I personally prefer Morrowind's lockpicking as its straight forward and real time. Oblivion's was a lot of fun but that started becoming more about skill than dice rolls. Skyrims is too braindead to be enjoyed, all chests might as well be unlocked. If any sort of minigame would be implemented, it should be real time. Freezing time is too generous. Thats why i always modded oblivion for real time lockpicking.

Firebrand

Re: Lockpicking without lockpicks?

Post by Firebrand »

I was thinking that maybe the simpler and more effective way to implement it in DFU is just to add lock picks, without a dedicated minigame. When you try to open a door, you hear something like:

*CLICKETY-CLACKETY-CLICKETY*

Then, if you're succesful based on your Lockpicking skil:
*CLICK!*

The door is unlocked! message appears.

Otherwise:
*CLACK!*

You broke a lockpick! message appears.

This sequence of sounds make it more immersive and prevents a click spam-fest, where you just use 20 lockpicks in 20 seconds :lol: :lol: :lol:

The other thing I was thinking: where to buy lockpicks? Maybe General Store and Fences within the Thieves Guild? :?