Angled doors can be hard to click [RESOLVED 0.10.18]

Interkarma

Angled doors can be hard to click [RESOLVED 0.10.18]

Post by Interkarma »

This is a known bug with how the virtual door collider is generated internally for angled doors. Here's a visualisation of the broken collider for one of these problem spots. I will fix this sometime ahead of 0.4 stable.
broken-door-collider.jpg
broken-door-collider.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 6002 times

MaxRebo

Re: Angled doors can be hard to click

Post by MaxRebo »

Hi, I've been looking into this, I hope you haven't already fixed this :)

I've managed to fix the rotation of the collider. I've been testing this with another dungeon that has an entrance with a steeper angle and it looks like this:

I'm not sure what the original intention for the implementation was. Was the collider supposed to sit on top of the door plane or is it supposed to surround the door plane as it is in the screenshot above? With the BoxCollider we have a bit of a trade off here in that it allows as to enter the dungeon by clicking on the sides (as it is in the original game) but we also can enter it by clicking some of the empty space above the door. Maybe we should generate a MeshCollider based on the door plane? Or find a way to use part of the actual door geometry as a collider?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hi MaxRebo. Good news, I haven't gotten around to this yet. :)

The goal is just to rotate the virtual door collider to match door plane, rather than surround the space entirely. The virtual box collider shouldn't change overall width like in screenshot. I know this is a bit tricky based on how I have things setup currently, but definitely doable.

FilthyCasual523

Build #127 - Very difficult to click doors recessed into geometry (e.g. Daggerfall/The Crypts of Yeomhouse)

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

The crypt at The Crypts of Yeomhouse is inaccessible -- I walk up to the door and activate it, nothing happens. This bug isn't present for me in Classic.

Interkarma

Re: Cannot enter The Crypts of Yeomhouse

Post by Interkarma »

Please don't forget to mention your build number, otherwise we have no idea which version you're running. :)

Edit: Nevermind about the logs. I've taken a look at this and understand the problem. The door geometry is recessed inside the crypt model. This leads to the problems with door collider. It is possible to enter with a bit of fiddling about clicking the door, but that's hardly ideal. I'll see what I can do about this later.

mikeprichard

Re: Build #127 - Very difficult to click doors recessed into geometry (e.g. Daggerfall/The Crypts of Yeomhouse)

Post by mikeprichard »

This old report seems to be mergeable with this other one (I think) - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=566. This is another issue I've seen come up on DFU videos a few times.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Done :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

You're a machine, Jay - cheers.

pango

Post by pango »

Both kinds of slanted dungeon entrances, and Crypts of Yeomhouse can be entered just fine with 0.10.18.

I couldn't visualize the door colliders in the editor (it seems the whole building model is the collider... then DFU checks if hit point is inside door box?), but the doors seem to work, which is what matters.
When 0.10.18 is out I guess we'll be able to close this report
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

To visualise colliders in editor, need to uncomment the code in Start() of DaggerfallStaticDoors. It will then add discrete colliders. But yeah, should be solved by 0.10.18. The new volume setup accounts for these angled doors. :)