HD first person weapon textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: HD first person weapon textures

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Megaten, nice progress!

I opened the files in Photoshop, and converted it from 16 to 8bit per channel, this changes absolutely nothing in the visuals. And it reduces the size to 1/3.

From my previous talks with Interkarma, this format is more suitable for Unity/DFU anyway.

The images have 4 channels, RedGreenBlue plus Alpha. So 8bit per channel is what is usually known as 32bit (4 x 8bits). And you are using 64bit now (4x16)

So there is a room for this optimalization, which will reduce the size to 1/3 without changing anything in the visuals and also making the format more suitable for DFU.

01.jpg
01.jpg (167.46 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
Than I would personally opt for a 50% reduction of resolution and we are at the 20% of the current size.
Just a option to consider...

Question: how hard would it be for you to re-render the images with SSAO or some simmilar effect? Heres a comparison, to show what Im talking about. Some weapons would benefit from the added depth IMO
https://media.giphy.com/media/geF89jVd7 ... /giphy.gif

megaten

Post by megaten »

King of Worms

Thanks for the advice on using 32bit, will do that way in the future.
About re-rendering with SSAO. It's possible. The result would be something like this.
Spoiler!
Rendering time increases 8-10 times (from 15-20 seconds per frame, to 2-3 minutes) though.
It's just the original idea was to emulate Daggerfalls 90s junky vanilla CG look and produce some results in little time.
I do agree renders with global illumination look way better and simple looking hammers/maces/flails/axes will benefit from it. So the answer is - rerendering is not a problem, might do it actually.

Nystul

Magic weapons are comming. Only staffs/magic hands/werewolf hands left before I start on them.

Also, has anyone managed to swap first person horse textures? In modding tutorial it says the name is MRED00I0.CFA_0-0.png and needs to be put into CifRci as well. I found texture resolution here - viewtopic.php?t=382&start=40 and tried to make a test swap but it won't work. Any ideas?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm the ssao does not look good in this case, original on the left is better. Its strange the new version is so much brighter. Anyway... this is minor. Dont let me distract you :)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

I've updated the 25% resolution pack to contain the new axes and daggers:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1e6tfnjj ... 19.7z/file

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

There is a error in the naming

There are two times Weapon07

One is a hammer, one is a Mace

To correct it u must rename a weapon in the archive called "mace" from 07 to 05, its the one with ADAMANTIUM material

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did that, now Im batch converting from 64bit to 32bit which is the ideal/recomended format for DFU, it will save 2/3 of the memory without ANY change to visuals at all, will take few hours..

EDIT:
compare.jpg
compare.jpg (165.36 KiB) Viewed 4265 times

I will decide between the 1/4 or 1/2 resolution reduction. With 1/2 resolution we are at 370mb which is 1/10 of the original 64bit size

This gets us to much more reasonable memory requirements and performance, with a minimal compromise in a visual quality.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Important suggestion, in case you will work on this some more...

The texture size needs to be able to be divided by 4 and the result must be in full number without a decimals.
Id say more than 50% of the images are not like this.

And the result is, that unity is not able to apply a compression without resizing the images - and resizing means quite a big hit to the visuals :cry:
And no compression means a huge waste of resources, for basically no reason

Example of the wrong image dimensions from this pack:
650 * 1430 (divide by 4) = 162,5 * 357,5

Corrected:

652 x 1432 (/4) = 163 * 358

Yes. Those 2 damned pixels mean all the difference :X I found out the hard way as well in my modding adventures.

To correct this problem, without actually stretching the textures (and thus loosing the quality) - is by adjusting the canvas size...
So you add 2 pixels to the canvas size, and anchor the actual image to the same place for all the images in the sequence - anchor it to the bottom of the screen in the case of weapons.

Its gonna be painful, but its a work for one day max >> doable.

Or maybe re-rendering it in a proper dimensions would be easier, no idea...
Canvas resize.jpg
Canvas resize.jpg (401.81 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Oh, and why I dig into this so much? Because its actually a really good mod and you put a lot of work into it.

I love how you made the daggers have more tiers, basic steel are very simple, more advanced materials have those diamonds, carvings, and additional handle parts plus a skull at the bottom. Its neat, better than the original, so when you finally get to better dagger, you will have more satisfaction looking at it in your hands.

I hope u get back to it,and do the staff etc plus magic effects :geek:

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

I've tried as suggested to just batch convert images from 64 bit to 32 bit and I confirm that there's no visible loss of quality in game, but on the other hand the time for equipping weapons has decreased dramatically. No more 2-3 seconds to see the new weapon equipped :)

Personally i prefer not to downscale images, i play DFU Full HD, and I don't see any need to reduce the video quality ;)

BTW, this mod is super-awesome :) :) :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

3200 x 2000 is a bit too much for my taste...

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

I'll add another suggetion to the pile:

Now that the retro mode is in, how about rendering those weapon sprites in retro resolutions? I tried doing this myself with moderate success, but there's a lot to clean up afterwards and downscaling is not nearly as good as rendering for the target resolution.

I love the spritework here and even when simply downscaled (without filtering that is) those weapons look way better than the defaults, adding a lot to the "modern retro" feel of DFU in Retro Mode.

Give it a thought ;)
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw