Real Time ray tracing

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
pango

Re: Real Time ray tracing

Post by pango »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:25 pm "...July 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM" - Your info might be a bit outdated. :)
I missed that.
Interesting, to reach real-time, they're using ray tracing at a lower resolution, and filling the gap with filters... "denoiser" they say, but most likely some AI trained upscaler. We're replacing one approximation by another better looking one, okay. Interesting trick to get around inherent power hungryness of pure ray tracing.

If I'm right about AI upscalers, then for best results one would have to bundle games with filters specifically trained for each game (and could be one of the reasons there's so few). I wonder how well that works for moddable games though. Hopefully one of the "default" filters is good enough for non-AAA
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mtrredux

Post by mtrredux »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:38 pm PS: and to be honest, RTX cards to me are almost a scam atm, they hype you for raytracing, than almost a year laters, there are no raytraced games (5 I guess) ANd you payed a BIG premium for those cores, sitting there, iddling... plus anything below 2080ti is basically unusable for some decent raytracing.. so.. yeah.. meh :lol:
I would agree if you bought an RTX card strictly for ray-traced gaming then you are getting scammed.
But there is a good hardware tech on these cards and at least Nvidia is innovating some here. Just limited use case for most especially gamers.
The cards are worth it if you can get more than just a gaming use from them though. Or rather I would say these cards could be considered entry-level pro-sumer...where you buy gaming RTX instead of a 5k card.
Granted they are not professional grade like a 5k GPU is, but you can still get some use case from these cards for more than just gaming.
I am typically an AMD fanboy myself bc AMD has usually offered up the better value to the consumer.
But I am still impressed with Nvidia for being innovative with RTX and for pushing things forward for RTRT.

AMD has said they have plans for RTRT too...can't wait to see what they will have to offer.
I think for RTRT to become mainstream it will have to be a capability of consoles, the console market is usually what mainstream gaming industry targets so console limitations are going to be what is holding back more widespread adoption of ray tracing.

mtrredux

Post by mtrredux »

I was thinking more like...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x19sIltR0qU
...which was a thing before Nvidia got on board.
This was done on a titan xp

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

mtrredux wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 am AMD has said they have plans for RTRT too...can't wait to see what they will have to offer.
I think for RTRT to become mainstream it will have to be a capability of consoles, the console market is usually what mainstream gaming industry targets so console limitations are going to be what is holding back more widespread adoption of ray tracing.
Almost certainly not the next generation of consoles coming out around 2022; however, 2028? Extremely likely, IMO.

That being said, don't buy an RTX card for RTX today, yeah.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

For compute amd is way better. Anyway, whatever ,)
Imo nvidia just got rid of some cores left from other cards like quatro or deep learning, made hype and some money. Theres a reason why the cards dont sell and thw S versions are better value (but 2080s still sucks) yet even the S is not that good compared to pre rtx cards. Quite shitty times 4 upgrade