Comprehend Language spell

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Comprehend Language spell

Post by Ommamar »

Is this enabled? I was hoping to use it to raise my pacify chance but I am not sure it is doing anything. It definitely doesn't show any improvement in the skill window.

Interkarma

Re: Comprehend Language spell

Post by Interkarma »

Comprehend Languages increases the chance of enemy pacification while active. If effect is active, the Chance value is simply added to the chance of your standard pacify test. Here's the relevant code from FormulaHelper.CalculateEnemyPacification().

Code: Select all

// Add chance from Comprehend Languages effect if present
ComprehendLanguages languagesEffect = (ComprehendLanguages)GameManager.Instance.PlayerEffectManager.FindIncumbentEffect<ComprehendLanguages>();
if (languagesEffect != null)
	chance += languagesEffect.ChanceValue();
It doesn't show anything in the skill window though. If you'd like to see an increase to skill values, the "Enhances Skill" enchantment for various language skills is how you'd do this.

If you're going a full pacification build, you can also try stacking several things together: High Base Skill + Comprehend Languages + Enhances Skill + Good Rep With + Masque of Clavicus. These generally all work in slightly different ways, but the cumulative effect would be very powerful.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Thank you for your reply, I am glad to see that is has been coded into the game and is worth having for certain builds.

So now I am curious about dispel undead, I got a quest from the temple to clear a haunted house, after numerous casts I finally managed to get a successful hit. Or at least I think I did, an icon that looked similar to the one enemies cast when they use invisibility was shown. The ghost seemed to disappear and stopped hitting me, I did notice it seemed like the space it occupied was still occupied even though the graphic wasn't there. When I got back to the temple the quest giver said something like the house is still haunted why would I talk to you but was still willing to give me another quest. So I am wondering how DFU handles this do you get credit for a dispel the same as successfully killing the undead? Because the quest giver acted like it wasn't completed but gave me another quest.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For quests where you need to cast a spell, the quest system isn't very sophisticated here. All that's required is to cast the correct spell in the correct location. You don't even need to cast on anything in particular, just loading the spell is enough. Once you get confirmation popup, you can even cancel spell and save points. I'm happy to take a closer look at the quest though to make sure there isn't some bug at work. Can you remember which quest it was?

For Dispel Undead in general, it completely nukes the entity from scene. There shouldn't be any left-over colliders or the like. But I'm also happy to check this in case it's an interaction with quest system I haven't seen before.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hmm, I think this will probably not be working with the Archaeologists guild as it overrides that formula and I have not updated it to include spell effect checks. I will need to fix that, glad I read this thread! :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:45 am For quests where you need to cast a spell, the quest system isn't very sophisticated here. All that's required is to cast the correct spell in the correct location. You don't even need to cast on anything in particular, just loading the spell is enough. Once you get confirmation popup, you can even cancel spell and save points. I'm happy to take a closer look at the quest though to make sure there isn't some bug at work. Can you remember which quest it was?

For Dispel Undead in general, it completely nukes the entity from scene. There shouldn't be any left-over colliders or the like. But I'm also happy to check this in case it's an interaction with quest system I haven't seen before.
I was the general exorcise the house quest you get from temples which I have always completed by killing the undead entity but trying something different so I was hoping dispelling it would give me the completion flag but it just seemed to have confused things as the quest giver said it was still haunted but I was allowed to take another quest.

It definitely appears to leave behind an object as nothing was there but when I tried to move through that space it acted like I was walking through a space occupied by a container.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Quest is Haunted House, https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Haunted_House, c0b00y00. There's no spell requirement, just a kill one.