How do I even attack?!?!

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
emmathepony

How do I even attack?!?!

Post by emmathepony »

This is frustrating beyond belief, I was excited to try out Unity but I've spent the last half an hour just trying to figure out HOW TO EVEN ATTACK. I'm hold right mouse button down and moving my mouse but no matter how much I move it or how fast the weapon and screen don't move at all... I've messed with the weapon threshold and swing options but they are doing literally nothing... I'm about to give up on this.

Ommamar

Re: How do I even attack?!?!

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

emmathepony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:16 pm This is frustrating beyond belief, I was excited to try out Unity but I've spent the last half an hour just trying to figure out HOW TO EVEN ATTACK. I'm hold right mouse button down and moving my mouse but no matter how much I move it or how fast the weapon and screen don't move at all... I've messed with the weapon threshold and swing options but they are doing literally nothing... I'm about to give up on this.
Can I ask what operating system you are on?
I've had issues on MacOS.
Also, are you using a mouse with left and right buttons? a scroll wheel? A laptop trackpad?

You may need to check the controls menu and remap certain controls. Unfortunately, DFU's default mapping does not always seem to match what the tutorial says.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Ommamar wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:32 pm Hmm which setting are you on cursor or move with your mouse? One feature you might find useful under advanced> enhancements is click to attack, this makes it so every time you click the right mouse button (default) you will swing your weapon. You can get the different attack types by positioning and movement although thrust is hard to pull off but it is possible. For the most part you will see the default horizontal slash which gives the average damage and chance to hit for your build.
Click to attack works but I want the classic swing. I've tried everything with the mouse settings but this is what they are atm:
mouse.jpg
mouse.jpg (266.08 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Ommamar wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:32 pm Hmm which setting are you on cursor or move with your mouse? One feature you might find useful under advanced> enhancements is click to attack, this makes it so every time you click the right mouse button (default) you will swing your weapon. You can get the different attack types by positioning and movement although thrust is hard to pull off but it is possible. For the most part you will see the default horizontal slash which gives the average damage and chance to hit for your build.
See above, although click to attack works as normal...

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D

pango

Post by pango »

I don't know what's going on either, so I can only provide a list of things to check (don't mind if some questions look obvious):
  • Beware fiddling with Weapon Attack Threshold, increasing its value should actually make it harder to trigger weapon movement. For reference the default value in 0.03 (in % of screen size)
  • Is swing weapon still mapped to "Mouse1" (right mouse button)?
  • just in case, is the weapon displayed on screen? Otherwise you must ready your weapon first (but if you know classic DF, I doubt it's the problem: it works exactly the same)
  • Are you playing full screen? (in case mouse focus is somehow lost)
I have no other idea right now...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No idea either. Also the advice to hold it for 3sec before you move a mouse to make a swing. Thats not how its supposed to work at all. U should just press RMB and u can swing immediately IMO

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:06 pm No idea either. Also the advice to hold it for 3sec before you move a mouse to make a swing. Thats not how its supposed to work at all. U should just press RMB and u can swing immediately IMO

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

emmathepony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm Click to attack works but I want the classic swing. I've tried everything with the mouse settings but this is what they are atm:
mouse.jpg
mouse.jpg (266.08 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
To change your attack responsiveness:

WeaponAttackThreshold should be a very low number (you currently have this set 10x higher than the default of 0.03). Try setting this to the minimum of 0.001 then increasing in small increments at a time. This value represents the amount of screen travel distance for an attack gesture - lower means less distance required.

Increasing Weapon Sensitivity to a higher value will increase the multiplier on mouse deltas for the purpose of determining gesture travel distance. Best to increase this one only after lowering WeaponAttackThreshold.

Frame rate can have a big impact as well. If you're getting <60 fps then the attacks are going to feel sluggish. If you feel this could be the cause, also try lowering detail slider on pause menu, disabling shadows, or even enabling retro mode to get some performance back.

Your character's Speed (SPD) attribute is also really important. A slow character will have slower weapon animation speeds and longer reset times between attacks. Character speed is arguably more important to the "feel" of attacking, provided you have the basic input sorted. Could you let us know your character's speed also?

If all else fails, the click to attack option is a good fallback until we can get to the bottom of what's happening. :)

Edit: BTW, I should mention that your Movement Acceleration of 5.0 will probably make movement feel very slippery, like being on ice. I really recommend keeping this >8.0 or keep the default of 10.0 to match classic's stop/go movement feel.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Yeah, that did it, decreasing the threshold number by x100 fixed it! This was really driving me mad but glad it's now fixed. Would be nice if the option wasn't there though tbh and just make it work like classic Daggerfall.