Has Unity changed how lockpicking works or is this a bug?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
emmathepony

Has Unity changed how lockpicking works or is this a bug?

Post by emmathepony »

Currently enjoying the latest alpha release (0.10.2), playing my main thief build with a lockpicking of 20 at level 2.

It seems like you can infinitely attempt to lockpick a door open (by spamming the steal interaction key) until the lock clicks open without consequence, in classic Daggerfall you only had a single attempt to lockpick the door or you had to bash it open or use the open spell. Are we really suppose to be allowed to infinitely spam lockpick or am I right in suspecting this is a leftover bug? Cause it doesn't seem right I can make 12K gold at level 2 by robbing all the shops of their books... :mrgreen:

Interkarma

Re: Has Unity changed how lockpicking works or is this a bug?

Post by Interkarma »

I implemented the lockpicking as classic, with a single failed attempt preventing further attempts until you level up the skill again. But it looks like a recent regression has broken this.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll add an issue and take a look when I can.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I guess I just got so use to how it was working with the one chance that I didn't even notice you could do this. I don't want it spammable but the ability to do multiple attempts on a single lock with a control like having to carry lock picks would be nice. But I figure there might be a mod or one coming along that would add something like this so I would understand setting it to how classic has it.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Alright. I'll stick to one chance as per classic.

Btw, another potential bug... no guards ever show up when I break in (at night) successfully and steal anything inside the shops, they aren't outside waiting for me either.

pango

Post by pango »

emmathepony wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 am Btw, another potential bug... no guards ever show up when I break in (at night) successfully and steal anything inside the shops, they aren't outside waiting for me either.
From what I understand this matches classic Daggerfall behavior.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

pango wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:46 am
emmathepony wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 am Btw, another potential bug... no guards ever show up when I break in (at night) successfully and steal anything inside the shops, they aren't outside waiting for me either.
From what I understand this matches classic Daggerfall behavior.
This video shows guards do spawn at night if you break in and start stealing stuff, not sure if it was successful or not but they came in right after he closed the menu after taking items.

Edit: Also I don't think Unity takes into account how your pickpocket skill influences the chance of rifling through private property without being caught. I can take from private property 100% successfully with my skill as low as 15.

pango

Post by pango »

emmathepony wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:53 am This video shows guards do spawn at night if you break in and start stealing stuff, not sure if it was successful or not but they came in right after he closed the menu after taking items.
That's not inside a shop, I'm not sure what's the rule then. Also, it's not clear from just that clip whether it's day or night, if that matters.
emmathepony wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:53 am Edit: Also I don't think Unity takes into account how your pickpocket skill influences the chance of rifling through private property without being caught. I can take from private property 100% successfully with my skill as low as 15.
Those mechanics have been added very recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some issues left in them...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

DFU does factor in your pickpocket when stealing items.

Guards can potentially spawn at night when breaking & entering, but only if you use a noisy method such as bashing down the door (as shown in your video). Lockpicking and magic are discreet enough that they don't attract guards.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

pango wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:22 am That's not inside a shop, I'm not sure what's the rule then. Also, it's not clear from just that clip whether it's day or night, if that matters.
It'a weird because I've gone through private property and taken things inside and no guards have never shown up.