How best to report hangs?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
BansheeXYZ

How best to report hangs?

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Occasionally, DFU will freeze on me. But I'm unsure of how to report things like this. What files should I bundle into a zip, and when should I bundle them? While the program is hanged, or right after I forcibly close the program?

Also, do these log files actually help when it's an ingame hang (like hanging on the court sentencing screen) or are they only useful for immediate hangs where the program fails to start entirely?

Interkarma

Re: How best to report hangs?

Post by Interkarma »

They are difficult to report, for sure. I don't get many reports of hangs, but there have been a couple. It's also not clear if the problem is a logic error or something else. They're rare enough and inconsistent enough that it could be almost anything at this point.

The best we can do is just collect information until something sticks. I'm happy for others to report their experiences with hangs in this topic to keep everything in one place. Letting us know what was happening when you experienced the hang (e.g. which UI was open) and what happened leading up to it would be most helpful. Also knowing roughly how long your play session was beforehand might be useful in case it's being triggered by a memory leak or something. Every little bit helps.

I'll monitor this topic as it evolves and do what I can with the information provided. Thanks all. :)

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I believed I have experienced one of these "hangs". Where the game seemed to freeze up for a second. I think it happened when one of my buff spells wore off. Ill see if it happens again when other buffs wear off.

Edit: has not happened again when buffs wear off, so the cause may be something else. I am inside a dungeon though when it occurred.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to clarify - when I'm discussing game hangs, I'm talking about when the game locks up permanently and requires task manager to force it to close. I hope that's what BansheeXYZ was referring to also.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

My copy constantly hangs on exit with distant terrain enabled. This was discussed elsewhere.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Mine does this even without distant terrain, or any mods at all, but only if the exterior world has been loaded at some point. For example, load in a dungeon and save there, exit game: clean exit. Load in a dungeon, step out for a second, go back in or not: game freezes on exit.
Windows 64.