What spell school is Free Action?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
mikeprichard

Re: What spell school is Free Action?

Post by mikeprichard »

pango wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:54 am 6 symbols for the 6 schools could look nice and require a minimal amount of screen estate is they cannot be confused with letters...
This would be slick.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

One of the annoying aspects of dfall spells is that they have up to 3 schools. Most sold spells have 1, a few have 2, and custom spells can have 3. If you got rid of the spaces around the hyphens, you could do something like this and lose only 1 character on the ends of long names. The advantage of something like this is that you could see the schools without clicking on spells, and it doesn't add any art.
circinates2b.png
circinates2b.png (59.55 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The multiple spell school rumor actually isn't true. I disproved it while testing spell costs:
My methodology for the spells was to cast each one, individually, until magicka was exhausted. I then rested and repeated this process until gaining skill in a magicka school; I then repeated to ensure they don't belong to a secondary school. I had thought that some spells like Spell Reflection belonged to two different schools, but some verification afterwards showed me that it's only dependent on one, just the same as the rest. I set a single magicka school at a time to 99 to verify the drop in casting cost, reducing all other schools to 1. Very few spells didn't reach 5, and none (I believe) was higher than 10. Nearly all spells were left at their initial values, and they were only increased to raise their natural casting cost above 5 for comparison purposes.
No matter how I altered other spell schools, only one school at a time changed magicka costs.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:52 pmThe multiple spell school rumor actually isn't true. I disproved it while testing spell costs
Are you saying that casting a spell comprised of multiple schools only benefits 1 school? That's probably expected to avoid exploitation.

Why did you think Spell Reflection was multi-school? UESP says that Wizard Rend and Force Bolt are the only ones.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The UESP page has been cleaned up significantly; here's a view of it in 2017, around the time I tested.

True, I didn't try the circinate spells. I'll withhold judgment on multi-effect spells. Sorry about that.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Though each individual spell effect only has one school, you can make a spell with multiple effects to raise 3 schools at once. I know because I have been using variants of these training spells since I started playing Daggerfall:http://www.jceason.dircon.co.uk/dagger/dfspells2.htm
Though the old exploit of raising by chambering a spell and unloading it has been fixed in dfu, I've always been able to raise all three of 'training 1' here through repeated casting.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Indeed, the old speedrunning trick. I should have remembered.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Its not really an exploit to practice 3 schools at once. You still spend the magicka for all 3 spells in the one spell. It doesnt progress you in any quests or ranks. All it does is save you the time it would take to practice each school one at a time.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

The exploit I spoke of was that that you could cancel a spell and still get exp for it. So you would load the spell but not cast it (therefore spend no magicka), then cancel and repeat indefinitely for infinite free exp.
The example spell I linked was made with that in mind, which is why I mentioned it, but it still works as training if you actually cast it.
Edit: oh you were responding to Banshee, nvm
Last edited by Jaiysaun on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Teralitha wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:05 pmIts not really an exploit to practice 3 schools at once. You still spend the magicka for all 3 spells in the one spell. It doesnt progress you in any quests or ranks. All it does is save you the time it would take to practice each school one at a time.
I mean, I agree and don't care which way it behaves, I was just trying to field Jay's comment.