What does the spell effect "charm" do?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jaiysaun

What does the spell effect "charm" do?

Post by Jaiysaun »

I've seen a bit of conflicting information on this, but from what I gather, it doesn't do anything with reputation like it says in game and actually pacifies human enemies instead. Just hoping someone can confirm if this is correct.

Ommamar

Re: What does the spell effect "charm" do?

Post by Ommamar »

Jaiysaun wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:02 pm I've seen a bit of conflicting information on this, but from what I gather, it doesn't do anything with reputation like it says in game and actually pacifies human enemies instead. Just hoping someone can confirm if this is correct.
I have heard interkarma say that is what it is used for. Personally I haven't had any luck charming an enemy that is aggressive to me. I do think it is tied some how to your etiquette/streetwise skill as that is what seems to pacify human enemies.

I do know that I have talked to someone gotten the brush of then cast charm on them and they gave me directions. A fluke? Or the spell? I don't know! One thing it is good for is raising Thaumaturgy in a way that won't aggro NPC's and is pretty cheap magic wise.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Here's the information from the github commit:
/// -Spellbook and spellmaker descriptions for charm effect are incorrect in TEXT.RSC.
/// -Charm actually operates just like Pacify Humanoid, but only on enemy classes.
/// -Enemy class will remain pacified permanently until player attacks them (confirmed in classic).
/// -As Duration has no effect in classic, it is intentionally disabled here. This also slightly lowers base cost.
/// -Can enable Duration again later by uncommenting related lines in properties.
// Set target non-hostile
// Note: Charm only works on enemy classes (not monstrous humanoids)

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Thanks for the info. It's as if this game just likes to argue against itself sometimes.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The sad effects of ambition vs operating budget, sadly :( But Allofich has done great work restoring it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, I have Allofich to thank for teasing out the workings of so many formulas and behaviours that weren't obvious, or even something other than what the game says it is.