Blackscreen issue after completing character creation and cut scenes

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Disorderly

Blackscreen issue after completing character creation and cut scenes

Post by Disorderly »

I can see my health and mouse on screen but nothing else. I've tried reinstalling and checking the PDF manual but haven't found any information reguarding my problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Ommamar

Re: Blackscreen issue after completing character creation and cut scenes

Post by Ommamar »

Are you able to create a save file?

Any system information would be helpful, it sounds like a graphic issue so updating your drivers for your graphic card might help. A break down how you have video setup in the screen before you launch the game would also be a nice thing to see.

Interkarma

Re: Blackscreen issue after completing character creation and cut scenes

Post by Interkarma »

A black screen is usually an issue with accessing game data. I've had people report this using the GOG version recently, but cause is currently unknown.

I would recommend deleting your settings.ini (found in persistent data path) then following the Using DaggerfallGameFiles (Cross Platform) steps to reinstall. This uses a known-good set of game files and is a great troubleshooting step.

Others have reported success running the game as administrator (right-click > run as administrator). The cause for this could be local permissions problems accessing the game data where it's currently stored on your system.