Item I can't drop or use/ identify

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kane Tombs

Item I can't drop or use/ identify

Post by Kane Tombs »

Hey, in a dungeon i picked up a magic white tower shield that i can't use/drop or identify, i assume it's related to a quest but i didn't get any quest and i don't have the WGT to just carry it forever. Would love any help.

Interkarma

Re: Item I can't drop or use/ identify

Post by Interkarma »

Did you recently do the "giant killing" quest where you have to kill a giant and his friends come along to the join the party? This one has a known issue with making that item permanent.

Kane Tombs

Post by Kane Tombs »

Yes, just got done with it. Any way to fix or sell this thing off? My char can't use it anyway.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's an annoying bug, I'm sorry for inconvenience. At this time you can only edit quest flag to false in SaveData.txt. Information on finding saves is here.

What you need to do is open SaveData.txt and search for the below:

Code: Select all

"isQuestItem": true,
Make sure this is part of a tower shield item (look for the "shortName" value above where you found "isQuestItem") then change the value to false like below, preserving all the formatting.

Code: Select all

"isQuestItem": false,
Save the file and next time you load the quest status should be toggled off. I'll try to get this fixed in next builds. I could have sworn this was fixed already, but sounds like I need to take another look at it.

Kane Tombs

Post by Kane Tombs »

I used the workaround and i'm able to get rid of it again, thank you so much for the help.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great! Happy that helped. :)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

This will also seem to randomly fix itself not sure if it is a time issue but often if I save the reload the item seems to be gone.