Replacing Weapon Textures

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
LukeZurg22

Replacing Weapon Textures

Post by LukeZurg22 »

For the life of me I have been working on replacing sword textures with my own rendered ones for the past week but cannot seem to find any changes ingame.

I have tried putting the new files directly into the textures folder, properly named, I have tried the unity editor, packing them into a file dfmod but unity decided later to just give a black screen whenever a save is loaded (Unless I press ESC, then the background renders fine, but moving however still doesn't function out of the menu)

I am at a loss here and need some help, i have poured extensive time into the guides but yielded nothing. :|

TheLacus

Re: Replacing Weapon Textures

Post by TheLacus »

First of all, please confirm that you have followed the documentation at dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/modding/textures/#ui-images.

Specifically note the following:
- Name is composed of CIf file, record and metal
- Correct location is StreamingAssets\Textures\CifRci

If you still have issues please provide one of your textures and a save where you have the weapon.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

LukeZurg22 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:57 pm For the life of me I have been working on replacing sword textures with my own rendered ones for the past week but cannot seem to find any changes ingame.

I have tried putting the new files directly into the textures folder, properly named, I have tried the unity editor, packing them into a file dfmod but unity decided later to just give a black screen whenever a save is loaded (Unless I press ESC, then the background renders fine, but moving however still doesn't function out of the menu)

I am at a loss here and need some help, i have poured extensive time into the guides but yielded nothing. :|
Hi, are you aware of this project? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1612
It has majority of the weapons covered, what is missing is the staffs and bows I guess

And all the magical weapons.

So Id say, it would be cool to fill those missing pieces.

That is, if you work on the weapon models which are seen when you actually equip em and use em to fight enemies.

Would be great if you specified what exactly are you working on, than we might help more

LukeZurg22

Post by LukeZurg22 »

Firstly, I am aware of the proper file naming and have done so. I have followed the tutorials and guides extensively looking over them. I made sure to put things in the right files but of course I have also first looked at that mod. I believe I have tried almost everything, but something extensive and step-by-step with detail to help replace any aspect of the UI, not even just the weapons, would be tremendous help as the current guides yield no resolve.

I am not sure if you have checked, but that mod's download links do not work. At least for me, it says they have been turned off. So for fun and learning I decided to work on creating my own mod with my own renders, as a challenge to myself and to get the higher-res attack animations I wanted, using my own work.

The only problem I have is the weapon UI change not actually appearing ingame. Wether it be because of the files, they not being packed into a dfmod file (I have tried, with little to no success. the unity editior shows a black screen on loading a scene so i cant keep testing either).

Edit: I plan to work on *all* of the weapons. Not just hand-to-hand but bows, magic weapons, everything. I have the modelling software, the only thing restricting my progress is this one roadbump of texture replacements not showing and appearing ingame.

LukeZurg22

Post by LukeZurg22 »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 pm First of all, please confirm that you have followed the documentation at dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/modding/textures/#ui-images.

Specifically note the following:
- Name is composed of CIf file, record and metal
- Correct location is StreamingAssets\Textures\CifRci

If you still have issues please provide one of your textures and a save where you have the weapon.
https://imgur.com/a/0j0oSrm -First textures I am attempting to impliment. (This is for the non-attack, just holding the wepaon part and is what I am currently trying to test for.)

As for the saves, I am unable to find and send a save file but ingame I have equipped a "Steel Dai-Katana".

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

LukeZurg22 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:18 pm Firstly, I am aware of the proper file naming and have done so. I have followed the tutorials and guides extensively looking over them. I made sure to put things in the right files but of course I have also first looked at that mod. I believe I have tried almost everything, but something extensive and step-by-step with detail to help replace any aspect of the UI, not even just the weapons, would be tremendous help as the current guides yield no resolve.

I am not sure if you have checked, but that mod's download links do not work. At least for me, it says they have been turned off. So for fun and learning I decided to work on creating my own mod with my own renders, as a challenge to myself and to get the higher-res attack animations I wanted, using my own work.

The only problem I have is the weapon UI change not actually appearing ingame. Wether it be because of the files, they not being packed into a dfmod file (I have tried, with little to no success. the unity editior shows a black screen on loading a scene so i cant keep testing either).

Edit: I plan to work on *all* of the weapons. Not just hand-to-hand but bows, magic weapons, everything. I have the modelling software, the only thing restricting my progress is this one roadbump of texture replacements not showing and appearing ingame.
show the name of some weapon than, the file name, and full path to a directory C:/...blblblbl
this part of modding is working, so u do something wrong

Ive got the mentioned mod on my HDD, working on it... so u reinventing the wheel here, but if thats what you want to do, Im ok with it. It will be cool to have everything redone by one person (it will be few 1000s of files) I have my fingers crossed u can do that. Still, it would be good to start with things which are not covered by other mods, because - logic. Anyway, up to u

LukeZurg22

Post by LukeZurg22 »

As stated before, this is mostly a project for my own learning experience and my own preferred edits of the textures. The mod for high res weapons I cannot download and it just gives me an excuse to go back into modding again and to test my skills in blender, which for now, my goal is to rework the weapon animations. Its not paticularly hard for me to do so when it comes to making the renders, the only challenge comes from this issue of the files not packing, and/or appearing ingame.

(Edit: Yes, while those are only frame-0s of the weapon, they are the images that show when generally just holding the weapon out, and not in attack animation yet.)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

your naming is wrong

WEAPON02.CIF_0-0_Adamantium.

I get it, just... would be cool to do the wepons which are not done yet, just INCASE you will not do them all, because there is a lot of work to do :)
Do as u wish. Staffs... dude... staffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have the mod downloaded and work on it in my spare time. Theres a lot of work to make it function properly :X

And PLS!
Use a standard resolution for final renders, so BOTH DIMENSIONS (height/width) can be divided by 4 without results in decimals (like 84,5 etc, it need to be a round number)

320 is ok
321 is not ok
640 is ok
645 is not ok

So if you end up with resolution like 1280x1600 its good
and 1281x1603 is bad

If you will not follow this, it will not work properly at the end of the day

Good luck :)

LukeZurg22

Post by LukeZurg22 »

Holy miradeth and a pan flute party, IT WORKS!!!!

Resolutions are perfectly set, they are just twice as large as the old textures. This is perfect. I can finally work on all the weapons! It was apparently the naming method that I got wrong, you were definitely right.

THANK YOU :D

(edit: Knowing which normal sword-weapons go to which animations would be neat, unsure if theres any system that allows detection for that but either way i am happy)