Is it possible to replace certain interior building layouts?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Feiros

Is it possible to replace certain interior building layouts?

Post by Feiros »

I want to replace all of the mages guilds interiors(the maze ones) with a proper and more sensible version.

Any tips on how can I do it, or at least try it?

Jay_H

Re: Is it possible to replace certain interior building layouts?

Post by Jay_H »

If you mean altering the objects and decorations inside a building's structure, Kamer and Uncanny_Valley are experimenting with a location editor to do that. It's still in early phases so it's not released to everyone.

If you mean changing the actual building structure, no one's made any inroads on that yet. It would be a dream to alter building and dungeon blocks, but no one's done it.

Feiros

Post by Feiros »

Not exactly. Remember how every fighters guild interior is the same building with all of the npc's in their proper places? First floor is the quest giver, second floor the trainer and the blacksmith, third floor the bedroom.

The mages guild buildings have two or three different interior versions(depends on the town) and one in particular is very tiresome to navigate. So i want to remove it and every time you enter one of their buildings, you'll always have a proper interior with a standard layout.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 pm If you mean altering the objects and decorations inside a building's structure, Kamer and Uncanny_Valley are experimenting with a location editor to do that. It's still in early phases so it's not released to everyone.

If you mean changing the actual building structure, no one's made any inroads on that yet. It would be a dream to alter building and dungeon blocks, but no one's done it.
Wait didn't Hazlenut do something like this for the archeologist guild mod?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

True, Hazelnut did it as a batch, and the other two are doing it by individual location.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This would best be done by using the world data asset injection that I used for Archaeologists guild. UVs location stuff is better suited to adding completely new things to the world.

Currently a building in a block can be overridden which is exactly what you need, I didn't alter actual building layouts and that will be some effort to do but it should definitely work. As mentioned UV is creating an editor to assist with this, and although it's early stages it will definitely help since editing coords direct in json is quite tricky. (that's what I did so I know)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Feiros

Post by Feiros »

Thanks Hazelnut. Uploading an image to show what kind of interior I'm trying to replace.

This whole building is incomprehensible, two floors with up to 8 exterior doors all leading to the same three entry rooms. Finding the right npc took me literally minutes because he was on the second floor with no access from the first floor! :shock:

Daggerfall is a great game overall but some of the 3d designs are terrible.
Attachments
Example 1.jpg
Example 1.jpg (768.89 KiB) Viewed 3154 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I suggest you follow the tutorial I posted, although is not that detailed. Try to make a simple interior change to prove things and esnure you understand how the override json works.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods