Add music to game menu

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Add music to game menu

Post by King of Worms »

Please add a music to the game menu, its strange that after the intro, you get silence and this screen.
IF we can decide as a community to which track to put there, it would be cool ;)
01.jpg
01.jpg (204.11 KiB) Viewed 3383 times

mikeprichard

Re: Add music to game menu

Post by mikeprichard »

+1

pango

Post by pango »

I checked musics using MusicRemasteredFinal, I hope it doesn't affect too much my choices...

My favorite for the menu may be song_30, it's a determined "let's go have an adventure" tune, I feel it would be good for a starter screen.
If we want to play a trick to the player, we could use that tune only at start or when there's some way to get back to that menu by exiting the game, but use song_D3 if (s)he arrives at that menu after death sequence. That other tune also features prominently a bell, but is a slower, funeral bell :evil:

I guess that at that point character creation could have some background music too?
Something relaxing, not too invasive, with a personal preference for musics not already used in game... It would also help if a volume slider was always available so it can be adjusted easily.
My favorite could be the beginning of song_D4 (the end is too quiet compared to the beginning), so it would have to be looped appropriately. Or some song written just for that purpose. Either way that's probably only a solution for a mod.
Several other dungeon tunes could also be okay (song_D1?).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I was thinking about it, and it might be good idea to use actually unused track.
Because, why let those awesome tracks be forever silent?

My most favorite track is this one, proper epic sh1t for a start of a game, maybe?

Its track no73 in the description here... all unused tracks are named there as "unused" so its easy to navigate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqUCz7E1s90
But its quite short... and quite loud :D so it could get bothersome after 250th start of a game...

I like your suggestions as well Pango...

I think this might be relatively easy to do? Yea I agree, maybe as a mod...

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm I was thinking about it, and it might be good idea to use actually unused track.
Because, why let those awesome tracks be forever silent?

My most favorite track is this one, proper epic sh1t for a start of a game, maybe?

Its track no73 in the description here... all unused tracks are named there as "unused" so its easy to navigate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqUCz7E1s90
But its quite short... and quite loud :D so it could get bothersome after 250th start of a game...

I like your suggestions as well Pango...

I think this might be relatively easy to do? Yea I agree, maybe as a mod...
Unused Theme - 17 is very epic. Could be used as a Siege attack theme

Floppy N'Wah

Post by Floppy N'Wah »

If i may make a suggestion? But a long personal favorite of mine is Daggerfall - Main Theme - Orchestral arrangment by Rich Douglas. something like that but a Oversnow Orchestral version.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Floppy N'Wah wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 am If i may make a suggestion? But a long personal favorite of mine is Daggerfall - Main Theme - Orchestral arrangment by Rich Douglas. something like that but a Oversnow Orchestral version.
+1

Daggerfall - Main Theme - Orchestral, by Rich Douglas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GmNRfFrwUI

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It would be interesting to ask Rich Douglas if it's possible to use his awesome rendition of Daggerfall theme in DFU :)

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

I agree the menu screen needs something.

But I'm not really a fan of bombastic music on most menu screens, but I suppose it depends on the aesthetic. I always liked the adventurous music in say, GW and GW2 at character select. But I'm also a fan of more subdued tracks for game menus.

For the scroll with the dimly illuminated candle light for DFU, I think it screams for a more subdued track. Something that suggests preparation.
I think either 09, 15, 25, Sneaking, or Sneaking2 would work pretty well IMO. Not marked unused, but the 3rd mage guild theme, nite3 would be nice as well....at least the first half of it before it launches into a variation of magic_2.

I will say the orchestral re-imagining of 5Strong was great. Nice arrangement and lots of work and creative interpretation gone into it.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Am I the only one that likes the musicless start? Unlike ingame, there's no place to adjust volume right away. And the character creation process can take a long time, and you can die a lot, so that 1 track can get repetitive fast. That's probably the main reason they did it, but it's also kinda cool that the game waits until you see daylight to play a happy melody.

Johnny4Handsome

Post by Johnny4Handsome »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:51 am Am I the only one that likes the musicless start? Unlike ingame, there's no place to adjust volume right away. And the character creation process can take a long time, and you can die a lot, so that 1 track can get repetitive fast. That's probably the main reason they did it, but it's also kinda cool that the game waits until you see daylight to play a happy melody.
Totally with you on that. If that screen was blasting with adventurous music every time you die, you'd be hit with auditory whiplash as you load up a save. The only place I would want music added would be a calm track behind the character creation menus.

Something like this: 59 - Unused Dungeon Theme - D4

Again, not adventure music. It's important to remember that one of the first things you see after character creation is the Emperor's cutscene in a gloomy room. I'm with BansheeXYZ, I like that the only time the game gives you relief from its dank atmosphere is once you emerge from Privateer's Hold.